Top, left to right: Welcome reception for new students, Introduction seminar, Stadsparken in Lund, Juridicum - my Law school.
Bottom, left to right: My new friends and I at Orientation activities and me proudly wearing my Uni hoodie! :)

I give you… A two-week Orientation!

You know that feeling of moving abroad for studies and thinking “How am I supposed to do this now? How will I know what’s expected of me? Will I make any friends over there?”
If you know that feeling all too well, you know how gut-wrenching it can be. If you claim not to know that feeling, I don’t believe you.

So there you are, looking at the gargantuan amount of luggage you packed and contemplating how to teleport yourself to the place where you’re going to live in because there is no way you can carry that yourself (nothing to do with physical strength, by the way). Doesn’t get much worse than that, huh.

Good news for all of you who plan to move to Sweden for studies: you don’t have to worry about those things! Swedish universities pay a lot of attention to Orientation and the organisation of these two weeks is so precise that nothing is left to chance. As a new student, I got an Orientation week agenda and a Pre-Arrival guide with a practical to-do list (that, by the way, has a “don’t forget to pack” and a kind reminder to get a dental check-up prior to your big move).

As if that wasn’t enough, when I arrived, I got a goodie bag (not plastic, of course) with maps, a student guide, a dairy guide (you read that right), and all sorts of things that have proven quite useful. There are Mentors who help out with practicalities including helping everyone to get to their new room/apartment.  All in all, Orientation was lots of fun, exactly as it should be!

My Orientation week included cultural awareness seminars, study skills seminars, trips to IKEA, a hike in the Söderåsen National Park, Swedish dinners and many other activities I truly enjoyed taking part in. I loved it and it helped me meet some really nice people I have bonded with instantly.

Photo
Top, left to right: Welcome reception for new students, Introduction seminar, Stadsparken in Lund, Juridicum – my Law school.

Dena avatar

• Danielle • 11 Nov 2015 at 5.16 pm Reply

I studies in Sweden in 1999. It changed who I am and shaped my views today. I would love to purchase a University of Umea hoodie but I cannot find the university store online. Can you help?

• Dena
      Dena • 25 Nov 2015 at 10.12 pm Reply

Hej Danielle,

That’s a great souvenir idea!
      Have you tried Umeå University’s webpage?

Dena

• Sthita Prajnya Nayak • 3 Nov 2015 at 8.41 am Reply

I want to know more about student funding available to self funded international students.I also want to know about the job oppertunities for international students.

• Alejandro • 14 May 2015 at 8.53 pm Reply

Hi Dena, I am interested in applying to Lund and to the SI Scholarship and I have read how difficult finding housing could be in Sweden(Lund and Uppsala) and I wanted to know if students holding a SI scholarship(let day non- EU citizens, like me) would have housing arranged by the University.
    Thanks

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 19 May 2015 at 12.02 pm Reply

Hej Alejandro,

Depending on a number of factors, you might be eligible for a housing guarantee. Click here to read more

Dena

• Hi Dena • 2 Apr 2015 at 7.34 pm Reply

I’m a U.S. student that just got accepted in to Lund’s Masters Programme in Human Ecology. I’m super intimidated by the process of moving to Sweden and getting all of the logistics sorted out—residency permit, healthcare, housing, etc. Any words of advice for a woman trying to organize such a huge task?

• prem • 4 Mar 2015 at 4.42 pm Reply

Greetings
    I would like to pursue MBA from any good university in Sweden.What is the procedure to apply.Should I apply online or approach Educational consultants.Any feedback will be appreciated as I do not have any friends over there.
    Thanks Prem

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 11 Mar 2015 at 8.33 pm Reply

Hej Prem,

Great that you want to study in Sweden!
      Please check this website, it should help with all your questions.

Lycka till!
      Dena

• dushyanth reddy • 27 Nov 2014 at 2.11 pm Reply

Felt delighted…thank u

• Kurratul Ayin • 31 Oct 2014 at 12.15 pm Reply

Hello…Dena ….your post is inspiring one.keep it up.

• rashed • 24 Oct 2014 at 2.52 pm Reply