Applying to study in Sweden: a concise guide

Alright everyone, give your julbord a short break and hear me out: the application deadline for studying in Sweden is coming soon.
The online application deadline is 15th January 2015 so let’s get down to business. I have compiled a short list for you to check during the application process and make sure to do everything you need to do in order to apply successfully:

1. Find a programme (or more programmes)
  2. Check if you meet the admission criteria for both the university and the programme(s) you want to apply to.
  3. Create an account on universityadmissions.se. You will use this website for your application. If you are not an EU citizen, you will need to pay an application fee. Also, keep checking the page regularly so you don’t miss any important information regarding your application.
  4. There are separate instructions for Bachelor students and Master students. Read them carefully.

rank your choices

5. Rank your choices! This is very important – make sure to think it through before the online application deadline. (15th January 2015)

docs

6. To find out what documents you need to submit, check the university and programme websites. Every programme/university has different requirements so pay a lot of attention when you’re checking this. If you haven’t already, start collecting the documents so you don’t miss the deadline. Paperwork can take time to complete, especially during the holiday season.
  7. You will probably have to translate most of your documents and send both originals and translations. Make sure to double-check how to submit your documents here (for Master students) and here (for Bachelor students).

certified

8. Ok, this one is major: Certify those documents. It is perhaps one of the most important moments in your application process. I remember it took me a lot of time to do this last year so I recommend you start as early as possible. Check this website to find out how to do this properly.
  9. Always double-check the requirements and keep checking universityadmissions.se and websites of programmes you’re applying to, so you can notice if you’ve missed something. During the whole process, these addresses will be your most important reference points as to how to successfully complete your application.

This is just a basic list of what you should pay attention to during the application process. There are details you shouldn’t miss and you should use point 9 of this guide a lot. There is a chance that the university you’re planning to apply to has a guide of their own, like for example Lund University so it would be smart to check if the university you’re applying to has one of these too.

Lycka till!

Dena avatar

• Nour • 15 Jan 2016 at 8.20 am Reply

Hello dina !
    I have a problem so could you please help me , i am on the stage of the application and when i enter the application number this message appears (Supplied value does not follow the required format) In fact I coppied the application number from the email ! What can i do ? Or what is the right format for the application number ? Thanks Dena in advance .

• Dena
      Dena • 15 Jan 2016 at 1.23 pm Reply

Hej Nour,

I am afraid I’m unfamiliar with this issue. Have you tried typing in the number? If the problem persists, I suggest you contact universityadmissions (if that’s where you’re having troubles.

Dena

• JOY • 20 Feb 2015 at 7.37 am Reply

how sure it to get this admission using this site u are talking about

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 20 Feb 2015 at 2.02 pm Reply

Hi JOY,

It’s the official website for applications. Getting admitted, however, is not guaranteed as it depends on many factors.

D

• Rendani • 13 Feb 2015 at 6.10 pm Reply

Hi Dena

The certifying bit is very confusing, I uploaded certified copies of my documents with my application. But now I got a message from universityadmissions.se say they want copies of originals and my application will now be considered late. I am very disappointed by this as I did everything on time but the instructions were not clear.

Disappointed,
    Rendani

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 16 Feb 2015 at 1.42 pm Reply

Hej Rendani,
      I am sorry to hear about the complication in your application.
      The certifying part is probably the most challenging part of the application process.

Best of luck for next time!
      D

• Ilda • 4 Feb 2015 at 9.28 pm Reply

Hi Dena,

I am Ilda from Albania, reading your blog was interesting,
    I have a question about the characters, what does it mean 300 characters , I thought it is 300 words?
    And what about the template of the motivation letter/ is it better to write the 4 answers separately or together integrated in one?

thanks a lot

Ilda

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.31 pm Reply

Hej Ilda,

Glad you liked the blog!
      It is not words that are counted but characters (letters, spaces etc). You write your answers in the boxes below the questions.

Dena

• Ernesto • 18 Jan 2015 at 11.46 am Reply

Hi Dena,

Very helpful article. I was wondering if you could offer some insight into the competitiveness of getting into Lund for international students?

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 19 Jan 2015 at 4.53 pm Reply

Hi Ernesto,

Glad you liked the blog post. To my knowledge, there are no official data showing the competitiveness when applying to Lund. What you should take into account is definitely the fact that it is the most international university in Sweden, thus, they really seek for talented internationals and make space for them. Check out this blog post where I wrote about Lund University.
      I’d say it is quite competitive, so you might want to emphasise what you have done so far in your studies/career and how that affected your community, if applicable. I’d start off there 🙂

• Baile • 30 Dec 2014 at 9.08 pm Reply

Hi, I’ve applied to study BA international development at Lund and I’m flying from London to visit the campus second week of January any chance you could email me as I had a few questions you might be able to help with.
    Many thanks.

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 19 Jan 2015 at 4.55 pm Reply

Hi Baile!
      Good luck with your application. 🙂
      Feel free to post your questions here, I’ll be glad to answer them. 🙂