CIMG59251189

My Internship Search Begins

Hej 2015! I hope everyone had a great festive celebration and a wonderful new year. Now it’s time for me to sink back into reality with assignments due in less than two weeks. I have also started on my  internship search which is mandatory for the two year management program. The 8-week internship can be held in Sweden or anywhere else over the spring/summer starting from April. It may be 4 months away but we are advised to start searching for the internship right now.

I would like to intern in Sweden. Why here? Sweden is known for being a multicultural society with numerous companies that adopt English as the corporate language. Therefore, the Swedish language is not a barrier. Moreover, there are many textile/fashion companies that operate globally and many are expanding into markets like China and Asia among others. I see this as an opportunity for internship and thesis research, and hopefully a stepping stone to embark a future career in Sweden.

Internship – What to expect

• Relocation may be essential. That also means the need to search for new housing.
  • Internships may be paid or unpaid.
  • Extension of internship. It is possible as the internship can be extended over the summer break which won’t affect the study period.
  • Area of interest. There are many areas such as design, retail, buying, marketing, brand management, project management, communications etc. Through the guest lectures with industry speakers from various job scopes and positions, I get to learn new insights about their roles and areas of work which certainly help in deciding the area I want to work/intern in.
  • Reports. Reports and log book submission are required as part of the course.
  • Rejections. Not everyone can get an internship in their desire company. So its good to start the search early. Sometimes the company of interest may not offer internship opportunities. However, it is still worth to contact the company to show the interest and try your luck.
  • If all else fails. There are also situations when students cannot find any internship or prefer to work on research instead of internship. In such cases, research project or individually designed project (preliminary studies for master thesis) can also be done.

I’ll also be updating my internship search and journey on this blog and I should start sending the applications soon but right now, I’m just going to enjoy the last bit of my remaining holiday. Happy New Year!

Angelina avatar

• Angelina
    Angelina Ho • 8 Jan 2015 at 2.59 am Reply

Hi Christelle,
    Do check out the http://www.studyinsweden.se
    There are lots of useful information about the different universities, programs and guide to studying in Sweden.

• Angelina
    Angelina Ho • 7 Jan 2015 at 4.20 am Reply

Hi Victor, thank you. I’m glad you like the blog and I hope that you would find some useful information about the university and the course. That’s great! Is your sister coming over this spring? Good choice, it’s the best university in Sweden for textiles/fashion studies. Yes sure, my email is angelina.studyinsweden @gmail.com. Also, do check out the instagram accounts @studyinsweden and University of Borås @hogskolaniboras as well as StudyinSweden FB at https://www.facebook.com/studyinsweden. Feel free to ask me anything.

• victor • 6 Jan 2015 at 12.28 pm Reply

Hi Angelina, liked your blog and course at Boras, i have my sister coming over to University of Boras to sturdy, and i would like to sturdy just same course as yours because she is into textile, fashion designing and fabricks as well here in Africa. All arrangements are ongoing for her sturdying their,thats why i browsed through to get know who is doing same relevant course as she desires and read a little about it their. Hope that will be ok for her. Would like to know your opinion and advice for her desire. my mail: projectman101@yahoo.com, . Would like to get your twitter or Facebook so she may write you as well. Thanks

• Angelina
    Angelina Ho • 2 Jan 2015 at 6.15 pm Reply

Hi Taufik, that’s great. All the best! Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I’m sure you will enjoy your your studies very much. Keep in touch!

• mujangi ngenyibungi christelle • 2 Jan 2015 at 3.09 pm Reply

i want to come to study

• Taufik • 2 Jan 2015 at 6.19 am Reply

hi there,
    i am also expecting to get admitted in university of boras in masters prog in
    Master programme (Two Year) in textile management with specialisation fashion management.
    i could surely use your wise advice.