Applying for a Swedish Institute Scholarship (Masters): a walk-through

Tjena from rainy Lund!

Lately I’ve been receiving a lot of messages concerning the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships from you guys, so I decided to dedicate this blog post to that so I can perhaps give you a breakdown of the application process.

Let’s talk about the timeline first:

1. Online application to universityadmissions.se – good job, you’ve done that!
  2. Deadline to submit supporting documents to universityadmissions.se is the 2nd February – remember we talked about this a month ago?
  3. The application period for SI scholarships will open on 2nd February until 13th

Now, depending on where you come from, there are a lot of scholarships available to you, whether they come from your own government, institutes, agencies and universities you applied for so make sure you’ve checked out all possibilities available to you. For further information, you should visit studyinsweden.se scholarship page. It’s very helpful. (yes, I know, studyinsweden.se is pretty great!)

Let’s turn to those SI scholarships you guys are so eager to hear about.

Firstly, there are several categories of SI scholarships based on the level of studies you want to pursue and on your country of origin. Make sure to find the category you fit into. From there, you should check your eligibility.

For example, some of the categories, like The Western Balkans eligibility criteria are as follows:

“A scholarship cannot be granted for a student who:

• Has already lived in Sweden for two years or more previous to the scholarship period.
  • Has a Swedish or EU/EES-citizenship, permanent residence permit or work permit in Sweden.
  • Has previously been awarded a Swedish Institute scholarship for master’s level studies or research at a Swedish university/university college.
  • Already holds a degree from a Swedish university/university college.
  • Is currently enrolled in a study programme at a Swedish university/university college.”

This is an example of the eligibility criteria for one of the categories, please check these for the category you belong to!

If you are eligible, you should check whether the programme(s) you applied for are eligible for the scholarship. To do this, you should go to the category you belong to and check the list under “Eligible programmes.”

If that’s OK too, we move on to your application. In general, for Master studies under each category you should submit a CV (Europass format, not longer than 3 pages). Naturally, most of you have done many things in your life so make sure to tweak your CV the right way for the purposes of showcasing your skills, education and experience thus far.

Then we move on to the tough part: the Motivation letter. SI provides you with a form with questions you need to answer in a very small amount of characters (not words, characters including spaces). I think this is the most challenging task in the application process. Each category has its own Motivation Letter and you can find them at the webpage of the respective category.

I’m going to be honest with you and tell you that I have had at least 5 drafts of each of my Motivation letters for the SI scholarship last year. To my knowledge, there is no recipe on how to make a good motivation letter. (i.e. I still don’t know why they chose me 😀 )

Questions are formulated so that you know exactly what is expected from your answer. The bottom line is that you should show the connection between the programme(s) you applied for and your country, skills etc. You have to be succinct and to the point, all the while showing your experience and ambition. Note: you can apply for up to 4 programmes eligible for the scholarship. You need to make a separate motivation letter for each programme!

Like I said, I have had many drafts of my motivation letters. I think this is a good method – you get to compare your own answers and see what fits the question better. You need to weigh it well, which is why you should try as hard as you can to be objective when judging your answers. Yes, at one point you will be swimming in the sea of your own Motivation letter drafts and you will likely live and breathe through them, but hey, the end goal is so great it’s worth it.

Oh and, proofread. Proofread a lot. What could also be very helpful is to have someone (someone reaaaally patient) to proofread your letters after you’ve done it. If you trust people for that. 🙂

Lastly, here’s the list of the SI scholarships available.

Well, that’s pretty much what I had to say about the application process for SI scholarships for Master studies. Hang in there you guys and lycka till!

Dena avatar

• fiya • 5 Mar 2016 at 6.05 pm Reply

hi dena
    may I know when the SI scholarship will be open for masters programme??can I apply at this time?

Dena • 15 Mar 2016 at 2.22 pm Reply

Hej Fiya,

The applications open in autumn again. Good luck!

• JoJo • 19 Feb 2016 at 10.45 pm Reply

Hej Dena, i’ve already applied but i was just curious if the committee at SI prefer people in the Health, IT and engineering sectors rather than students like me interested in International Business and Marketing?
    Stor tack!

Dena • 23 Feb 2016 at 10.43 am Reply

Hej JoJo,

I don’t think there is a preference of the sort you described. Good luck!

/Dena

• karthik • 10 Feb 2016 at 11.12 am Reply

Hi Dena,
    Do we need to attach our passport in europass CV? because in motivation letter there is a field in which it has asked this question.

Dena • 12 Feb 2016 at 11.40 am Reply

Hi Karthik,

I am not sure… Maybe you can try writing to SI and asking them? To be on the safe side.

• Tanja • 8 Feb 2016 at 9.21 pm Reply

How can I find my application number, which is needed for my Swedish Institute scholarship application?

Dena • 9 Feb 2016 at 2.01 pm Reply

Hej Tanja,

I believe that’s to be found on you universityadmissions.se profile.

• Collins • 5 Feb 2016 at 2.35 pm Reply

Hi Dena what is the format for the employment period, Should it be DD/MM/YYYY or only the month and Year(mm/yyyy) is ok.

Dena • 9 Feb 2016 at 2.04 pm Reply

Hej Collins,

I guess it’s not that important, so if it isn’t indicated maybe it’s ok whatever you want.

• Adane • 1 Feb 2016 at 12.58 pm Reply

Hello Dena,

I am from Ethiopia. I would like to ask you about language requirement; I studied my undergrad class in English, do you think that it’s possible to get acceptance without showing official language tests like IELTS, TOFEL ETC ?

Thanks

Dena • 2 Feb 2016 at 4.48 pm Reply

Hej Adane,

I am really not sure about that. Perhaps it would be best to have done an internationally accepted test. In any case, I strongly suggest you ask the Swedish Institute/University admissions and ask them.

• Abel • 13 Jun 2016 at 2.29 pm Reply

Yes, You can take a document called Medium of Instruction from your university and the language requirements are exempted for you

• damee • 28 Jan 2016 at 1.20 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    I am applying to Swedish Institute Scholarship for MSc but I wanted to know if having MSc degree already have any effect on my application for admission and scholarship.
    Thanks!

Dena • 29 Jan 2016 at 11.55 am Reply

Hej Damee,

I actually don’t know. It probably won’t have a negative effect, but I have no experience with such situations.

• Collins • 30 Jan 2016 at 5.33 am Reply

Please my passport is not ready for step 2. What should I do. Can I still apply

Dena • 30 Jan 2016 at 4.20 pm Reply

Hej Collins,

I actually don’t have experience with that issue. Perhaps you can write to the Swedish Institute instead?

• sally • 27 Jan 2016 at 5.45 am Reply

Hi Dena!
    I would like to now if there is a format for certificate of work experience required for University application(not the Scholarship) Is the certificate the same as C.V?and who is to write,my employer or myself?
    Thanks

Dena • 29 Jan 2016 at 11.56 am Reply

Hej Sally!

If there is a specific format, then it is probably stated so in the eligibility/requirements section of the programme(s) you wish to apply for.

• O’brien • 23 Jan 2016 at 8.11 pm Reply

i downloaded the motivation letter template and the letter of reference template, unfortunately their format doesn’t allow for addition of typed text e.g in table where i should write a maximum of 600 characters even 599 characters can’t fit in the table. Should we retype the same template and fill it in as asked?

Dena • 26 Jan 2016 at 9.51 am Reply

Hej O’brien,

That is quite strange. Perhaps you should try a couple more times but if it doesn’t fit the allowed amount of characters, try writing to the Swedish Institute and telling them of the issue.

• Hi O’brien, • 8 Feb 2016 at 8.45 pm Reply

it’s not allowing to exceed but the file is protected. you can convert the doc file into pdf. then again convert the pdf file into doc. format . After that you will be able to edit the document, I believe.

Thank you.

Amena Islam
      Bangladesh

Dena • 9 Feb 2016 at 2.02 pm Reply

Hej O’Brien,

Perhaps it’s best to contact the Swedish Institute with this issue.

• Ghassan • 21 Jan 2016 at 12.56 am Reply

Hi Dena,

In all template, shall I fill it directly or shall I delete some parts like instructions? OR do I have to make a new one belong to me? Just let me know!

Thanks,

• Fate • 18 Jan 2016 at 2.00 pm Reply

Hi Dena,

After filling the templates, do they require me to show my leadership experience I mentioned in the proof of work experience in certificate form? uploading certificates required in the second round of the scholarship application? ? I was puzzled when it says detailed processes will be conducted in the 2nd round…and I was wondering if they require proves in certificate or other forms.

Thank you!

• azzat • 17 Jan 2016 at 5.01 pm Reply

irstly, thank you so much Dna for lighting and guiding us i would like to inquire of you regarding to the English proficiency i had completed my bachelor degree in Malaysia and The medium of instruction is in English so what kind of a proof i have to submit to the university admission because i didnt understand what they meant by ” Students with a Bachelor’s degree from a university where English is the only language of instruction, in accordance with the recommendations in the edition of the International Handbook of Universities that was current the year the degree was awarded”. my you clarify this point for me i will be thankful for you.

• Tetteh David • 14 Jan 2016 at 2.51 pm Reply

Please on the template for Reference letter, Motivation form and prof of work experience. I saw something like letter must not exceed two pages(including the forms to fill), but there is only one page to fill in, Does it mean I should write a letter in addition?

Dena • 15 Jan 2016 at 1.23 pm Reply

Hej Tetteh,

I think you should stick to the template’s limits.

• azzat • 12 Jan 2016 at 9.12 pm Reply

Hi Dena
    i am azzat , i would like to inquire regarding to the leadership experiences, should i list my leadership experiences or writing description about each leadership i got.
    could you help me in this?

Dena • 15 Jan 2016 at 1.28 pm Reply

Hej Azzat,

The template has sections you should fill in, just follow what it says and fill it in accordingly.

• alim • 11 Jan 2016 at 7.29 pm Reply

i am from Bangladesh. how can i get template of reference and motivational letter. plz give me link

• Shazzad Hossen • 11 Jan 2016 at 9.51 am Reply

I intend to apply for SI scholarship this year. If I am not successful what should be done to study in this September session. Should I apply for SI and admission with turion fee?.

Dena • 15 Jan 2016 at 1.29 pm Reply

Hej Shazzad,

If you don’t receive the scholarship but still get admitted to a university, you can opt for paying tuition fees if your finances allow for it. You should probably try to apply for university scholarships as well.

• Jonathan • 6 Jan 2016 at 3.01 pm Reply

hi were can i find the the the reference template for masters 2016/17 ,needed for the SI scholarship application?

• Mebrahtom • 6 Jan 2016 at 10.49 am Reply

Hi Dena, are the motivation letters going to be assembled into one document or there is a way to send them separately to the respective programmes?

Dena • 6 Jan 2016 at 3.07 pm Reply

Hej Mebrahtom,

They are all separate, to my knowledge.

• yonas • 25 Jan 2016 at 10.51 pm Reply

hey mebrahtom,
      im guessing youre either ethiopian or eritrean! anyways if you get to read this, post an email or your number n we can exchange info

• Annastacia • 6 Jan 2016 at 10.44 am Reply

Hello, I can not seem to find the motivation letter or reference templates, on which site or link are they?

Dena • 6 Jan 2016 at 3.10 pm Reply

Hej Annastacia,

Maybe they haven’t been uploaded yet. Have you tried writing to SI?

• Gauravi Lobo • 3 Jan 2016 at 8.44 am Reply

Hi Dena,

Great post, very helpful. I’m curious about the how to fit in all the details required in the letter of motivation in the limited space given. I already found that hard to do in step 1. Aside from writing lots of drafts, any other specific advice on how to be succinct and still highlight your profile well? It’s hard to figure out what aspects of yourself to focus on.
    I wonder if you could post draft copies of your motivation letters for us to get an idea of what they should look like.
    Clearly you did something right 🙂

Dena • 4 Jan 2016 at 1.09 pm Reply

Hej Gauravi,

It is quite a challenge to fit everything in, I agree. Truth be told, my advice on drafting and approaching the matter from different angles is the best one I can give. I don’t think there was much more science to it, in my case at least.
      I can’t post my motivation letters (and I don’t have the drafts anymore anyway), because that is a very private matter, as I am sure you understand.

• rabie • 2 Jan 2016 at 7.34 pm Reply

hii dina again 🙂

i am little bit confused i am applying for four programs so should i submit 4 application in si site for the four programs and so i’ll write four motivational letters ?

Dena • 4 Jan 2016 at 1.09 pm Reply

Hej Rabie,

Yes, that’s right – a separate motivation letter for each programme! 🙂

• rabie • 2 Jan 2016 at 6.28 pm Reply

hi dena
    first of all thanks a lot for your effort in lighting and guiding us 🙂
    regarding English test scores can i get a conditional acceptance till taking the exam or ,it must be before 1st of February ?

• Jawad • 26 Dec 2015 at 8.10 am Reply

Hi Dena,
    I am jawad from Pakistan. My question is will it be worth if I show the english proficiency certificate from the last attended university.
    Many Thanks.

Dena • 4 Jan 2016 at 1.15 pm Reply

Hej Jawad,

I guess that would be alright if the certificate hasn’t expired. Make sure to check with universityadmissions.se before you’ve sent it in!

Good luck,

• shree • 12 Dec 2015 at 3.59 pm Reply

hi Dena,
    I have applied for 4 different courses
    at 3 different universities.I have also applied for SISS step 1.

Now I feel some confusions :

1.I don’t find my first choice subject code in the SISS eligibility list. I can’t study without scholarship.should I send required documents for my 1st choice ? If I don’t send the documents for 1st choice,are my other choices be valid or considered as the next?
    2.Should my referees give different statements for different courses? or they can give a common LOR for all courses ?

Dena • 22 Jan 2016 at 11.31 am Reply

Hej Shree,

If a choice of yours is not on the eligibility list, I’m afraid you can’t be considered for a scholarship for it.
      As for the letters of recommendation, I believe that is up to you.

• fia • 5 Mar 2016 at 5.51 pm Reply

hi shree
      you have applied for 4 different courses.may I know; have you paid application fee once a time or four times??

• Marwan • 8 Dec 2015 at 8.36 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    It is required to show proofs of work experience and leadership experience; what are the possible official documents that can show these proofs?
    Thank you very much.

• Ester • 8 Dec 2015 at 4.31 pm Reply

Hello Dena, thanking you for the information above. I am from Jamaica and have started the process to be considered for the SI Scholarship. I would like to know the process for being exempted for my English proficiency. I have read on the university admissions online page where students from Jamaica can be exempted. Please advise with thanks.

Dena • 10 Dec 2015 at 3.02 pm Reply

Hej Ester,

I’m afraid it’s best if you wrote to your preferred university or universityadmissions.se – they are fast at responding and can probably help you out more accurately. Good luck!

• bishoy • 8 Dec 2015 at 11.10 am Reply

hi dena i am bishoy i am from egypt recently
    i applied for the swedish institut application form for the masters degree but ,
    he asks on the application form about my application form number i dont know how
    to get it so if u please can help me i will be glade really ,

Dena • 10 Dec 2015 at 3.09 pm Reply

Hej Bishoy,

Did you check if you got an email with your application number? Does it ask for an application number from universityadmissions or SI?
      I’m afraid I don’t know what exactly you’re asking.

• Tariq • 5 Dec 2015 at 7.37 am Reply

I need the required Motivation letter and Reference letter template to apply SISS 2016 program.I could not find it in the web , can you plz help me ??

Dena • 10 Dec 2015 at 3.11 pm Reply

Hej Tariq,

To my knowledge, the templates for the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships will be uploaded in the beginning of January on the SISS webpage. No documents are needed for the first application step.

• Nusrat • 5 Dec 2015 at 4.49 am Reply

I would like to know about the field of study listed by SISS. I am very much confused about that , as I completed my MSc and BSc in Nutrition and Food Science and working as a food scientist or food technologist. Now which will be my field according to the SISS priority list. Please reply me soon. Its very urgent.

Dena • 10 Dec 2015 at 3.15 pm Reply

Hej Nusrat,
      Perhaps food security? I really can’t say this for sure, perhaps you should ask someone from the Swedish Institute who deals with scholarships?

• naofel • 1 Dec 2015 at 7.50 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    Can you please clarify this question regarding work experience to me?

****Are you engaged in a network or voluntary work?

what ‘network’ actually means here?

Dena • 12 Dec 2015 at 12.20 am Reply

Hej Naofel,

I guess network could mean something like an association or organisation that has a network within itself. I am not sure though!

• Sam • 29 Nov 2015 at 12.55 am Reply

Hi Dena,
    I have started the application process for my selected programs, four courses at different universities. According to two of the universalities websites, I am required to submit letters of intent. The University Admission website only allows applicants to submit one copy of each document according to what I read. I am confused. Should I submit one letter of intent for the two universities?

Dena • 29 Nov 2015 at 4.27 pm Reply

Hi Sam,

I think what universityadmissions.se mean is that you shouldn’t include more than one copy of one document, which, in my understanding means that you can put two different letters of intent, as long as they are one copy each. But it would be best to send an email to University Admissions and check this, just to be on the safe side maybe. Good luck!

• Irene • 20 Nov 2015 at 2.37 am Reply

I’m filling out the europass CV. And I have a question to you:
    Do you need to take a language certification test to be eligible to apply for a scholarship?
    Can I fill my language level based on my personal evaluation? Or should I promptly get it certified?
    Thanks in advance, Irene

Dena • 25 Nov 2015 at 10.07 pm Reply

Hej Irene,

I guess it would be best to have a certificate, at least for English.

• Brenda • 16 Nov 2015 at 4.43 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    Great post! Im from Uganda and would like to apply for a scholarship. With the new online application, what do you think we should expect on that system. (just to prep 🙂 ) Thank you.

• Robson • 10 Nov 2015 at 8.29 am Reply

Am from Ethiopia and may am eligible to apply for master degree in your school?

Dena • 26 Nov 2015 at 6.26 pm Reply

Hej Robson, most likely yes! But it would be best if you checked the eligibility criteria for the programme you are interested in.

/ Dena

• Towhid • 7 Nov 2015 at 11.21 am Reply

Dear Dena,
    This is Towhid from Bangladesh. I am interested to apply for “The Swedish Institute Study Scholarships Programme”(Autum, 2016 session ) . How can I get motivation letter and reference letter for this programme? I have got both from SI but it is headed by “The Swedish Institute (SI) Baltic Sea Region Cooperation Enclosure to your application for participating in the SI Summer Academy for Young Professionals 2014”. It can’t be editable. what is the right headline for this programme?

Dena • 28 Nov 2015 at 12.55 pm Reply

Hej Towhid,

As far as I’m informed, the templates will be posted on the Swedish Institute website in December. You could check in a couple of days and I am sure you will get the right template. Good luck!

• ismail • 24 Oct 2015 at 10.42 am Reply

is the work experience is obligatory for the SI scholarship ?

• KANTONO CATHERINE • 10 Oct 2015 at 5.36 pm Reply

Dear Dena.
    Am 23 years old and i had just completed a Degree in Public Administration in June/2015 from Gulu University Uganda however my graduation has been scheduled for January/2016 which be after the application deadline for the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships set to be on the 16th of October 2016 for Masters Programme which i am much interested in applying for.

Am i eligible to apply for a Master of Science in Business Administration- Strategy and Management in International Organisations at the university of Linkoping using a Testimonial letter, Provisional Results of my academic performance and an Official letter stating the date of our graduation which will before the Masters programme at Linkoping start.
    All issued, stamped and signed by the Office of the Academic Registrar of my University since i cannot be issued a certified copy of my academic transcript before the graduation.

Thank you in advance..

• ngoga • 15 Sep 2015 at 10.40 am Reply

Dear team,
    My name is Ngoga, Am from Rwanda.
    I always wish to join Swedish education system at my MSC in electrical engineering with majors in Telecommunications and/or telematics systems. I want to know which universities that are eligible for Rwandans. again i was told that only students from academics are only allowed for admission and scholarships and i want also to hear from you about that if its true.
    and i also want to prove from you if our English system in Rwanda is suitable for the MSC courses in Sweden.
    Thanks
    keep in touch

Dena • 29 Sep 2015 at 6.16 pm Reply

Hej Ngoga,

Check out these links, they could clarify things for you. As for universities, I think you can pretty much choose whichever you want.
      Info on how to apply here.
      Info on scholarships here.

Good luck,

• matiullah • 23 Aug 2015 at 3.00 pm Reply

Hi Dear Dena! My name is Matiullah i’m from Afghanistan but I live in Tajikistan .
    I finished school and i want to finish the university in Sweden, what should I do !?

• matiullah • 23 Aug 2015 at 2.57 pm Reply

Hi !
    I’m Afghan but i live in Tajikistan , I want a free scholarship to sweden .
    What should I do ?

Dena • 29 Sep 2015 at 6.22 pm Reply

Hej Matiullah,

Check if you are eligible for some of these scholarships here.

• Julien • 24 Feb 2015 at 1.23 pm Reply

Hi Dena
    I’m from Congo (DRC) but I live in South Africa.
    I would like to know if I could be eligible to a Sweden’s scholarship in Masters.
    I should study here but I have been advise to choose two modules in undergraduate before to start the Masters next semester. Unfortunately I refused to be registered in undergraduate because I have done it before in my country of origin . So I need your advise to study in Sweden,please.
    Thanks in advance

Dena Dervanovic • 26 Feb 2015 at 9.10 am Reply

Hej Julien,

Please check this link. Just find your country in the dropdown menu and it will show you whether you are eligible for one of the scholarship modules.

• abdirazak • 8 Feb 2015 at 9.45 am Reply

my name Abdirizak Hassan Ibrahim iam one of students at daar omar binu kadab in hargeisa somalia i hadfinished in intermediate grade eigth then i received scholar horn africa organization then finished in secondary level so i need to help me in university in any where as scholarship so i will send you in my certificates and any proof to my studyat omar bin kadab i hope you will consider my request hear you soon ?

• rafoat • 6 Feb 2015 at 12.54 pm Reply

hello for everyone!

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.33 pm Reply

Hello to you too Rafoat!

• David Hardley Ajwang Onyango • 5 Feb 2015 at 5.53 am Reply

I would like to apply for your Scholarship. Please may send to me the details of applying and other information of Eligibility.

• Ilda • 4 Feb 2015 at 9.26 pm Reply

I am Ilda from Albania, reading your blog was interesting,
    I have a question about the characters, what does it mean 300 characters , I thought it is 300 words?
    And what about the template of the motivation letter/ is it better to write the 4 answers separately or together integrated in one?

thanks a lot

Ilda

• Ilda • 4 Feb 2015 at 9.13 pm Reply

Hi Dena!
    My name is Ilda from Albania, Reading your blog was interesting. May I ask you something concerning the motivation letter? There are four questions to respond ( you know this better than me 🙂
    , the first one about presenting yourself requires max 300 characters= 50-60 words,
    can you clarify this to me? I thought it was 300 words :((
    the last question is about the template, is it better to write the 4 answers separately or together as one?

Ilda

• Ahmad • 4 Feb 2015 at 5.35 pm Reply

Hi
    what do they mean by EQF ?

Dena Dervanovic • 16 Feb 2015 at 10.51 pm Reply

Hej Ahmad,
      I believe it’s short for European Qualification Framework (click here).

D

• Alexandria • 4 Feb 2015 at 4.32 pm Reply

Dear Dena,
    I have a rather technical problem. I downloaded the motivation letter template and when I try to fill it, I noticed that I do not get to write 300 characters. Am I suppose to create a new let’s say word document, same as the template and according to the character limitations, or write directly on the downloaded template and just cut my sentences?

Thank you, ALeks.

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.29 pm Reply

Hej Alexandria,

Yes, every question has a specific amount of characters which you cannot exceed. You are supposed to write in the motivation letter that you downloaded, NOT in a new Word document.

• sadaf kargar • 4 Feb 2015 at 12.09 pm Reply

Hello I want to take a scholarship in here how can I take it?

• João Pedro Carvalho • 4 Feb 2015 at 1.58 am Reply

Hi Dena,

Thanks for the post. I’m from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, but I also have an Italian citizenship. I was wondering how does this affect my application process to study in Scandinavia. I’ve heard that European citizens don’t need to pay tuition…

I’m a Marketing major who has previously studied abroad (USA) and I’m about to start my last semester as an undergrad here in Brazil, but I intend to apply for my Masters in Scandinavia soon.

I have a few other questions, so please feel free to send me a private email to jp.det@hotmail.com if you’re willing to help me. Thanks a lot!

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.27 pm Reply

Hej Joao,

You heard correct: EU citizens don’t pay tuition fees in Sweden. So, you basically just need to provide for your living costs during your stay here.

• Jesus Torres • 3 Feb 2015 at 10.08 pm Reply

Hi Dena, i Want to study in Sweden, would love a bachelor in Graphic Design or Photography or Publicity, I would Like to know if there is possibility for me since im from Venezuela and dont speak Swedish, just regular english. But im willing to learn, ive been listening to swedish radio for a while now 🙂 Tack ska du ha.

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.37 pm Reply

Hej Jesus,

It’s great that you’re taking a big interest in studying in Sweden. I am not sure if there is a big variety of Bachelor programmes taught in English, but please take a look here: https://www.universityadmissions.se/intl/start

• Nebi • 3 Feb 2015 at 7.39 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    I just discovered this web-site which is beneficial for me.My story is quite long and I personnally think unique also.Last year, I thought I applied for the Lund Uni Int Human Rights Law Master programme.I said ”I thought” because I was working with a foreign education consultancy and eventhough I paid them my application fee they had not paid it for me on the universityadmissions system.So after realizing this problem I contacted to Lund University.Allthough I felt they want to help me they said it is beyond their authority.Finally one year later I am here again made my application for the same programme(this time everything is going smoothly as planned.Thankfully).And SI is the last abstacle for me.Long story short, here is my question:Last year I applied for the SI also but because of afore-mentioned problem I am guessing that my motivational letter for the SI wasn’t even evaluate by the commission.So I do not know my result if I could have applied for the master programme.What advice would you give me for motivational letter other than ones given in article. Also this character limitation is giving me hard time 🙂
    All in all, thank you for the information.And thank you in advance

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.26 pm Reply

Hi Nebi,

Good luck this year!
      Like I said above in the post, there is really no “recipe” for a good motivation letter. Just give your best at showing your experience and ambition. 🙂

• Bijendra Manandhar • 3 Feb 2015 at 7.02 pm Reply

Dear Dena dervanovic, I want to pursue my masters in tourism in Sweden, so can you help me know is there any scholarship for masters in travel and tourism through swedish institute. I am a Nepali citizen having a residence permit. So can you suggest me some ideas for next year to apply for.
    Bijendra
    manandharbijen13@gmail.com

• Ana • 3 Feb 2015 at 6.50 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    You have mentioned that we need to make a separate motivation letter for each programme! I don get it , i should write 4 motivation letters and submit them for SI scholarship? It is not mentioned in the requirements of Visby programme that i’m going to apply.

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.24 pm Reply

Hej Ana,

Actually, it is listed on the application instructions webpage:

“Please note that you need to submit a separate copy of your scholarship application for each eligible master’s programme that you have applied to. For example, if you have applied to the maximum four master’s programmes, you must submit four separate online scholarship applications. Each application must have a motivation letter, a letter of reference, and a CV attached. You may use the same motivation letter, CV and letter of reference for all applications, or create unique ones for each programme.”

• khuram • 3 Feb 2015 at 6.45 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    i am 22 year old student from Pakistan and have completed my graduation in agri science.Now i wanna come to Stockholm for Master, is there any scholarship for me?

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.21 pm Reply

Hej Khuram,

SI scholarships this year are limited to several categories where Pakistan is not included, unfortunately. Please check your government/educational institutions and the school you’re applying to in Sweden for scholarships or tuition waivers.

• Naeem Ali • 3 Feb 2015 at 6.02 pm Reply

HI Dena
    I am student applying to MS Programme In finanace in autumn 2015.I am from Pakistan. I agree with all the points you mentioned.so please would you suggest on where I can get scholarship ? Secondly where I can get Scholarship form and other Procedure ?
    Thanx For your Consideration

Dena Dervanovic • 8 Feb 2015 at 4.19 pm Reply

Hej Naeem,

Check your own government/educational institutes that might be giving scholarships. Also check if the school you’re applying to offers scholarships or tuition waivers. Unfortunately, SI Study Scholarships for Pakistan are not available this year.

• Filip • 3 Feb 2015 at 1.36 pm Reply

Hi Dena,

Do you maybe know how many scholarships are granted each year for students from Western Balkans? I am from Serbia, and I’m studying here, but I also have Croatian citizenship, so that makes me non-eligible for SI scholarship, and I’m not sure if renouncing an EU (Croatian) citizenship is too big of a risk for applying for scholarship I am not even sure I will get.

Thanks in advance 🙂

Dena Dervanovic • 3 Feb 2015 at 3.28 pm Reply

Hej Filip,

I understand your dilemma. Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is no official number. Good luck with whatever you decide!

• Alexandra • 30 Jan 2015 at 10.58 am Reply

I have a problem and I still didn’t find a solution to that (in addition I have written dozens of emails and still didn’t receive a single answer). Maybe you something about this and could help me. I didn’t get an application number when I have applied for a Master’s degree because the application process took place through the university’s platform rather than through universityadmissions platform. Do you know maybe where can I get this application number in order to be able to apply for a SI scholarship? Or maybe some contact information that would be helpful to solve this issue?

Dena Dervanovic • 2 Feb 2015 at 11.48 am Reply

Hi Alexandra,

Until now, I was certain that all applications would have to go through universityadmissions.se. I suppose your best shot is to call the respective university and ask them for the number. I wish you good luck!

• Tanja • 29 Jan 2015 at 8.43 pm Reply

Hi Dena,

I’m a 22-year old Biology/Ecology student from Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina). I have one exam and my Bachelor thesis left to complete my quadrennial (240 ETCS) education.
    I’m very interested in applying for Master study program at Stockholm University, but as you surely noticed I still have no Bachelor degree. I expect to have it in July.

Could you please inform me if I’m eligible to apply for certain study program without my diploma, but with university testimonial of passed exams and their evaluations?
    I would also be grateful if you could tell me if I’m eligible to respond to the second admission round (15 March-15 April) to begin a semester in autumn 2015.?, and if I’m still eligible to apply for SI scholarship for Western Balkans (2-13 February)?

I would like to thank you in advance for your time and assistance.:))

Dena Dervanovic • 2 Feb 2015 at 11.51 am Reply

Hi Tanja,
      I’m not quite sure but it might be possible to apply if you will receive your diploma before you’d move to Sweden. You need to check that with the programmes you want to apply for.
      Furthermore, I don’t think it’s possible to apply for SI scholarships if you apply in the second admission round, since the timelines don’t match. You need to be admitted to a programme first and then the SI scholarship decision comes in. Check here under “how to apply”.

Good luck with everything!

• Tanja • 29 Jan 2015 at 8.40 pm Reply

Hi Dena,

I would like to thank you in advance for your time and assistance. :))

• Charan • 28 Jan 2015 at 5.27 pm Reply

Hi Dena,
    I am a student applying to THRUST masters at KTH in autumn 2015 and I am an Indian.
    I agree with all the points you mentioned. But specifically for Autumn 2015, no SI scholarships, no kth-India scholarships, more over the program is not even an Erasmus Mundas program from this year on.. So what would you suggest on where can I get scholarships? I have applied for fee waivers at kth. But for living expenses and etc I have to find some. Here in India to get an educational loan is very comprehensive although I have limited options here.
    Can you help me in this?

Dena Dervanovic • 29 Jan 2015 at 4.41 pm Reply

Hi Charan,

Yes, it is unfortunate that there is a smaller amount of SI scholarships available this year. I believe KTH has their own scholarships which you can check here. Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with scholarship opportunities for Indian students in particular.