A numerical analysis on the worthiness of bus pass
My room is 10 mins away from Chalmers (5 mins with bike)… Is it worth it to buy a monthly bus pass?
2. Cost Analysis
- A single ticket costs 26 kr and it is valid for 1,5 hrs;
- A three-month pass costs 1175 kr.
3. Behaviour Analysis
Typically in one week, I…
- Go to the supermarket, once;
- Sporadically go for a pint, once;
- Somehow end up in McDonalds/food places, once;
- Go to Swedish class, twice.
4. Logged Data
During the summer months (April – July), I did not buy the monthly pass. Instead, I bought individual bus tickets with my credit card. I plotted the purchase history vs. date.
*Note, I was traveling for three weeks (gaps in May, June and July) and therefore I didn’t purchase any tickets.
- Clearly, some days I bought multiple tickets…
- I spent 1436 kr in three month!
- Breakeven point around end of June
- Buy the bus pass! It gives you freedom to explore the city at a fantastic price!
PS. Insider tip: learn Matlab before coming to Chalmers