Why Uppsala?

Hello again!

Today is going to be all about Uppsala, about the university and city I chose to live in for the next two years whilst I do my masters. Since I had so many different motives for coming here, I decided to share them with you.

Let’s start by saying that Uppsala University was the first university in Sweden, founded in 1477. Fun fact: this means that the university is older than my own country (Brazil was “discovered” by the Portuguese in 1500).  Also, in the last couple of years, Uppsala University has been on the list of best universities in the world. If this does not impress you, keep reading, because I have even more motives for you!

Uppsala is a city for the students. Everything here focuses on trying to integrate the students. Making them socialize and feel like they belong here. It is a unique experience to be surrounded by young people and to see how the city adapts to receive thousands of students every year. Another plus here, is that in Uppsala you have a student price for everything!

Uppsala is also an awesome place for international students. People here are always willing to communicate in English so everyone can understand. For example, the majority of the Facebook events for the nations have a description in English. Everyone tries to integrate the students that can’t speak Swedish, so you don’t feel left out. This applies to the Professors, restaurants, banks and everything else.

Now comes the fun! Uppsala is famous for it’s student nations. Here, you have thirteen different nations to choose from and be part of. They are responsible for the fun parts of living in Uppsala. All of them have restaurants, libraries, pubs and parties, and have that student price I spoke about too. It gets better! Another cool thing about the nations is that you can work there. Which is a nice way of making new friends and getting extra money at the end of the night.

So, when are you coming to Uppsala? 🙂

Marina avatar

• Slava • 16 Jan 2016 at 3.53 pm Reply

Hi, Marina! How are you?
    I’d like to know more about your MA programme in Uppsala as I’m also thinking about it 🙂 What’s your experience? What were the most interesting and valuable courses for you? Is the programme academic or you will have some practical study later?

• Marina
      Marina • 25 Jan 2016 at 5.27 pm Reply

Hey Slava! I just posted about my Masters, you should check that! I think I responded all of your questions there! hehe Go and check it!

• Mariana • 2 Dec 2015 at 2.12 am Reply

Oi Marina! Meu nome é Mariana, também sou brasileira, de São Paulo. Estou me aplicando a uma bolsa Erasmus para estudar na Universidade de Uppsala e seu blog com certeza me ajudou com as inseguranças que eu tive até o momento. Também sou da área de comunicação e é isso que pretendo estudar por aí se tudo der certo, espero que dê! Boa sorte por aí, beijos

• Marina
      Marina • 12 Dec 2015 at 3.33 pm Reply

Que linda você Mariana! As pessoas de comunicação são as melhores hehe Pode entrar em contato e perguntar qualquer coisa! Estou te esperando aqui em Uppsala 😀

• Ebuka Ezeji • 23 Nov 2015 at 10.41 am Reply

I have read a lot about Uppsala online. I am a Nigerian and just applied for my masters in applied biotechnology. I hope i am shortlisted cos i am super excited and cant wait to join the Uppsala community. Oh yeah! hope i get a scholarship too. winks!!

• Christian • 29 Oct 2015 at 6.02 pm Reply

I was thinking of signing up for a course in 2017. Does that meant I must sign up between october and January 2016 for Uppsala University. I like Uppsala it’s beautiful I have been a few times, and the 13 Nations sound awesome. Is Stockholm the best nation? Also is it true that if you study less than one year you don’t get a personnumer so no bank account no mobile paying app.