SwedishKrona

Cost of Living in Sweden 2016

I have received hundreds of different emails from all around the world asking cost of living in Sweden. As everybody may know, Sweden is a high-income level country with high life standard. I have prepared a cost of living list for prospective friends, based on my own purchases. I hope, this will help you while planning your study finance and seeking for a scholarship.

Instead of actually doing some sort of  a research, I just kept all of my receipts for one week. Form sunday to sunday… It wa a pretty normal week for me. I did go out a bit more than I might in a usual week which included a couple of dinners, but take this for what it is. I’ve separated my expenditures into different categories and then added rent, which didn’t actually get paid this week but tends to be a necessity.

Product/Service SEK USD Euro
Hair shampoo 2-in-1 (400 ml ~ 12 oz.) 35 4 4
Standard men’s haircut in central area of the city 340 40 36
2 tickets to the movies 240 28 26
1 cocktail drink in downtown club 140 16 15
Cappuccino in a local coffee shop 35 4 4
1 month of gym membership 470 55 50

You may check numbeo.com (popular crowdsourcing cost of living website) to compare prices between Sweden and your home country.

Keep in minds that Migrationsverket requires you to prove that you are able to support yourself if you plan to study here in Sweden. They assume you can support yourself for 7300 SEK per month for 10 months out of the year.

If you have a question, please do not hesitate to ask me in comments.

Andaç Baran avatar

• Baran Aycin • 16 Jan 2017 at 9.22 am Reply

Hi Andaç! I’m from Turkey too 🙂 I’m civil engineer and i want to do master degree in Sweden. Did you pay educational fee for your school? If yes, how much money did you pay for your programme? And i have one more question. Aftermaster degree can i find a job is Sweden? Is it possible?
    Take care!

Andaç Baran • 17 Jan 2017 at 9.15 pm Reply

Hi Baran,

You may check universityadmission.se to check tuition fees of different programs.

You may check job opportunities over studyinsweden.se

Take care of yourself.

• Monil Parekh • 15 Jan 2017 at 5.55 am Reply

Hi. Can you tell me the languages that are used for communication in Sweden? Is language a barrier for communication if we are unaware of native language?

Andaç Baran • 15 Jan 2017 at 1.27 pm Reply

Hi Monil,

Swedish is the main language spoken in Sweden, yet everybody knows English and you may use English as communication.

Cheers!

• Hussain • 25 Dec 2016 at 5.55 pm Reply

HI
    I am from Pakistan. Do you know about process of scholarship for Pakistani student?
    Do you have any supporting URL link for us?

Andaç Baran • 25 Dec 2016 at 6.35 pm Reply

Hi Hussain,

You may find the information you need at studyinsweden.se.

Thanks!

• Mubashar • 7 Nov 2016 at 8.24 pm Reply

Hy Andac
    Greetings from Pakistan. I have a very simple question. Will I be able to get a part-time job during my studies?

Andaç Baran • 9 Nov 2016 at 11.32 am Reply

You are eligible to work when you are studying!

Cheers!

• Wilda • 7 Nov 2016 at 5.03 am Reply

Hi Andac Baran, glad to meet your blog
    Sweden is included university list of mine. I will ask u a question, how if I go with family? How about living cost? My planning will take my home scholarship country. I came from Indonesia.

• Maju • 7 Nov 2016 at 4.54 am Reply

Heiio
    I want to know about part time job opportunities for MBA students.I am planning to start my MBA in Swedish university is there any opportunities to work while studying.Thanks in advance.

Andaç Baran • 9 Nov 2016 at 11.34 am Reply

Hi Maju,

There isn’t MBA programs in Sweden. However, you are eligible to work when studying.

Thanks!

• Amir • 15 Oct 2016 at 6.04 pm Reply

Hi Andac Baran

Thank you! your blog is great and informative.

I’d like to ask whether I could find a job after graduation in Sweden. In other words, is there any organisations or associations that would help me find job after I’m graduated from a Swedish university?

Thank you again Andac!
    Amir

Andaç Baran • 16 Oct 2016 at 8.31 pm Reply

Hi Amir,

Generally Universities have individual Career Centers which are quite helpful to find a job. There are many other options you can apply to find a job.

Cheers!

• Torikul • 11 Oct 2016 at 11.53 am Reply

Hi there, i am from Bangladesh. Hope you are doing well. I need to know exactly which University would be better for me as i am from Business background and i want to complete my Masters from Sweden. I seek your help soon.

Andaç Baran • 16 Oct 2016 at 8.32 pm Reply

Hi Torikul,

It totally depends on your prefers and desires. You may want to check universityadmissions.se to see which program fits in your need.

Cheers!

• Francisco • 10 Oct 2016 at 11.06 pm Reply

Hello my Dear friend..

I am planning to go and study for a year, do you know if I will be entitle to work or can I get sort of permission to Work while I am studying ? Thanks for the advice.

Andaç Baran • 16 Oct 2016 at 8.33 pm Reply

Hi Frank,

It is always better to ask the consulate in your region because Student Visas may/may not allow you to work based your permission duration and conditions.

Cheers.

• shaila • 29 Sep 2016 at 6.42 am Reply

hey Andac, i am from Bangladesh. Can u tell me what are the job facilities for a post grad student who doesn’t know the Swedish language?

Andaç Baran • 16 Oct 2016 at 8.35 pm Reply

Hi Shall,

Generally speaking, there are many job opportunities in Sweden. As a student, you may want to apply your university’s Career Centre to get more information.

Cheers.

• Darya • 7 Sep 2016 at 9.44 pm Reply

Hi!Greetings from Kazakhstan!
    I have a little question about the proof of financial state.
    Can I use like the confirmation of it the scolarship,which I’m planning to get and live on ? 😉
    Or I must have some money on my bank account?
    Will be glad,if u answer!
    Thank u and have a nice day!

Andaç Baran • 16 Oct 2016 at 8.36 pm Reply

Hi Darya,

If you are receiving an official scholarship from a institute Sweden recognises, there should be any problem to state it as a finance proof.

Cheers.

• Mia • 23 Aug 2016 at 1.15 am Reply

How can you go to the movies, to have drinks and to the gym while studying? When I’m studying (right now we’re on winter break in my country) I barely have time to breathe. I swear is so much what I have to study that I can’t even cook to myself, I just open a packet of something and eat that. Am I doing something wrong?

Andaç Baran • 16 Oct 2016 at 8.37 pm Reply

Hi Mia,

It is all about priorities:)

X)

• Rovshan Bahishov • 27 Jan 2016 at 7.43 pm Reply

Hi mr Andach Baran greeting you from Azerbaijan , if you give me some advice i would be very glad , ” is the education free or under the support of the government of your own country either Sweden? Please send some information around it .So long

Andaç Baran • 29 Jan 2016 at 5.36 pm Reply

Hi Rovshan,

In my case, I receive fundings from both sides. However, Swedish Institute provides scholarships for international applicants. You should check out scholarships section of this website.

Receiving scholarship from you home country is another option. For that, you should contact with Azerbaijan authorities and organisations.

• Furkan • 26 Jan 2016 at 8.11 pm Reply

Hello

Can I learn How much is the accomodation that is near to university campus ? ( I have also any other questions about some other stuff )