Student Housing? Relax! You are in Göteborg [UPDATED 2016]

To keep things short, for the best balance between cost, location and space when looking for housing in Gothenburg = pick SGS Rotary. I live there.

Now, exactly one year after I published this post I made some updates for you.

I’d like to thank CHALMERS KINAGRUPP for letting me share their videos with you!

Table of Content:

1. 3 x ProTips
  2. Don’t get shot! (a sensitive issue in Göteborg still, but we are baring lokal situation all out)
  3. A little on Frolunda
  4. Why Rotary?
  5. About Kjellmansgatan

I don’t think housing in Göteborg is as bad as Stockholm.

My friends complain a lot about the housing here. Don’t be tempted thinking there are many options available. Just play it safe and get a place to stay first (beggars can’t be choosers). I know every August the hostel is full of Chalmers international students looking for housing… Don’t be those guys.

Most common complaints are:

1/ Internet not working

2/ Old building, not clean enough

3/ Expensive…

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 10.32.45 PM

Looking back a year ago, I just applied to whichever housing that was the cheapest available. I lived in Frölunda. It was cheap, yet relatively far from school. But, it worked out for me.

Tip #1: Where to Start Your Search?

FIRST, I went to the SGS website. SGS is this housing agency for students. I think most foreign students use their service. Many of my friends have grunges with this company, not satisfied with their services (see top three complaints). Beggars can’t be choosers.

CHALMERSHOUSING

Tip #2: What Are Your Options?

Out of the 24 places, I didn’t recognize most of the places…

Why? Because the Swedish students scoop out the “good” places long long long ago, after having queued for a long long time, and moved in for a long time…

cheatsheet

ProTip #3: Pick a Good Neighborhood, it is worth the money!

Recently, there are lots of news about shootings in Gothenburg. I just want to say that shootings happen in “rough” neighborhoods on the other side of the river (north side). Gothenburg is still really safe at all times of the day…

Map of shooting locations: Red guns represents shooting in 2014…

Shooting

A Little About Frölunda

I lived in the Frölunda neighborhood for four month. It is not the most “posh” hood in town… People EXAGGERATE about its conditions. It is not that tough as you imagine. Sure it is populated with immigrants. Sure people warn you about locking your laundry (apparently people steal laundry???)… But it is safe. Really!

Story goes… there’s a deadly shooting in the building adjacent to where I lived 2 years ago. End of story.

But shooting can take place anywhere…

Balance Sheet

Downside to Frölunda is the distance to campus: about 25mins by tram

more downside: SGS owns 5-6 apartments in this large apartment building. Not a strong student environment.

Upside: cheaper housing (I paid 3200kr for this tiny room, see pic below.), and you get a MASSIVE shopping centre at your door step!

Upside +1: the parties there are great!

DCIM106GOPRO

haha, no I didn’t have a roommate. My friend was just visiting me for the weekend! But you can see how tight the room was!

DSC07209

Occassionally you get 2 month of green water, because the copper pipe is old. People really complained a lot about it. We even had a “green water” party.

Finally, my time at Frölunda was over. The building management decided it is time to renovate this old building. And I got moved to a new place. I had several choices. I choose the one that is closest to school (that one hour of commute took away a lot of my time).

IMG_2171

View outside 11th floor at the Frölunda SGS apartment.

A Little About Rotary

I live at the SGS Rotary now. I löv it!

It is almost too spacious! 3800kr. (For an additional 600kr, I get my own bathroom and a much larger room! 10 mins walk to school. Large shared kitchen (reminds me of hostel kitchens)). I FEEL IT IS REALLY WORTH IT.

SONY DSC SONY DSC

If you want to enjoy your time in Sweden, having a good nest is important.

A Little About Kjellmannsgatan

My buddy Sid had enough of his old crappy room and requested for a new place. BOOM! one month later he moved into his own room at Kjellmannsgatan. It is around 3800kr as well. Really nice neighborhood.

Pics of the room in virgin condition. I took them as I helped Sid move in.

IMG_1245 IMG_1246

The hallway, one person per door.

IMG_1249

back to my kitchen, a picture of the last dinner party…. benefit of having a large common kitchen.

löv,

gimmygöteborg

IMG_1393

Gimmy avatar

• Pranav Narayanan • 28 Jul 2017 at 2.44 pm Reply

Hey Gimmy!
    I had registered in the sgs long back. But I didn’t know they need the residence permit and now when I mailed them, they said the apartments are all full. I’ve registered in Chalmers student bostäder though but they keep rejecting me. I’ll be coming to Gothenburg this August so my time is narrowing down. Yeah so I want to know other than these 2 sites and boplats.se(I don’t meet most of the criteria in boplats), is there anything else that can be done for accomodation? Thanks.

• Gimmy • 7 Aug 2017 at 10.54 am Reply

Hi,

Try Facebook groups… reach out to other int’l students… AirBnB… Hostels are also very popular during those weeks (book your hostel room if you haven’t done so).

Try Blocket.se

GL

• Julia • 25 Jun 2017 at 2.11 pm Reply

Hi Gimmy 🙂
    I don´t know if you´re still reading the comments on here but I was just curious how long you were registered for with the SGS website before you got a room?
    I´ll be moving to Gothenburg in August but so far it doesn´t really look like I´ll be getting a room anytime soon.
    Your article is really helpful though.
    Thanks! 🙂

• Gimmy • 7 Jul 2017 at 3.32 pm Reply

Hi Julia,

I don’t read the comments anymore but I do check in once in a while. But I read emails.

Hmmm, I hope you have found a place already. Otherwise, pick up the phone and call them. Be persistent.

Otherwise, try Facebook groups, Blocket.se… reach out to former exchange students from your school.

Gimmy

• Sachit • 30 May 2017 at 6.28 am Reply

Hi gimmy you have been great help for me in getting to know abt housing. I had silly query.
    I have got room in rotary 2C 3022. Would like know how is this room and are there lifts inside the building and how abt the facility of drinking water ( I saw one of your comment abt green water in frulunda, is rotary better interns of water facility).

• Gimmy • 8 Jun 2017 at 11.13 am Reply

It is a spacious room w bathroom inside. It is nice! You should look forward to it 🙂

No lifts, but you are only on the 3rd floor. Drinking water is delicious!

• Léane Ollivier • 10 May 2017 at 8.48 pm Reply

Hi !
    Thank you to share your experience it’s really nice ! I don’t go in Chalmers but in the university for a Master degree in august. I applied at SGS, but I don’t know how long it take to have a room ? 🙂 I don’t really underestand the “queue time”.
    Thanks,
    Léane

• Gimmy • 15 May 2017 at 9.12 am Reply

Some of the more “desirable” “fancy/modern looking” apartments are sought after by many. Hence you have to queue until you get the opportunity.

I recommend getting a place with the least amount of queue days. /gimmy

• Léane • 29 May 2017 at 12.59 pm Reply

Ok, thanks! I think while waiting to see what happens I take an accommodation at Mönlycke, It’s less expensive and just 20 minutes away . I hope It’s nice and not to far and not stop me to get to know people who lives in the city center .
        Léane

• Gimmy • 8 Jun 2017 at 11.11 am Reply

It is a bit far out, but at least a good neighborhood. You can always move after a few weeks, or months? 🙂

Enjoy the summer!

• Anirudh Mehlawat • 28 Apr 2017 at 3.51 pm Reply

hey, you blog is really a quite helpful as it provides the realistic view of the rooms, but tell me will I get quilt and pillow with the mattress and bed or do I have to bring these two along with me. And what minimal things should i get for the kitchen purpose.
    I am joining there in Aug 2017, for MS Electric power engineering program.

• Gimmy • 5 May 2017 at 2.42 pm Reply

Make life easier, you can buy everything at IKEA for a good price 🙂

Go to their website and take a look.

Now, I have a question for you, what do you plan to do after graduation in 2019? PhD? Company? Which ones and why?

• Anirudh Mehlawat • 16 Jun 2017 at 11.22 am Reply

hey Gimmy thanks man..sharing the info about IKEA, i ll look for it online.
        In 2019, i ‘ll look to work with some one, something a job, but doing a Phd is like a distant dream, even i haven’t planned it right now, I hope you will help me in socializing with other colleague of yours.
        Actually, I have been working for past 3 years, so I thought after doing MS I will look for new profile jobs in somewhat better fields,like Designing, Electrical power, or related fields. I hope we will stay in touch in future.

• Mira Atsari • 21 Jul 2016 at 3.27 pm Reply

Hi!
    It’s a very helpful guidance as I’m gonna move to Rotary this August. As I read in the email, the building does not provide mattress. I know it’s quite a silly question, but how did you deal with that? Did you buy the mattress at the first day or you’ve prepared it before? This will be my very first experience to live abroad so probably I don’t think my first day is enough for me to adjust my body and buy the mattress at the same day.

• Gimmy • 27 Jul 2016 at 12.23 pm Reply

Hey! If you are an international student, you should get a CIS (Chalmers International Student) room… which means your room comes furnished 🙂

Otherwise, I have two beds for you 🙂 It’s all good!

See you in August! /Gimmy

• Gema Molina • 4 Aug 2016 at 8.06 pm Reply

Hello Gimmy, are the rooms still available?

• Gimmy • 5 Aug 2016 at 5.16 pm Reply

Hey! I have no knowledge on room availability. Check with SGS website or better to call their offices. Good luck! /Gimmy

• Shreyas • 3 Jun 2016 at 8.31 am Reply

hey gimmy!
    Actually, rotary was not available at the time of booking the housing, i have booked an apartment called Ganglaten@ forlunda, is it good or if at all change i need 3 months as per contract. At that time will the Rotary be available.
    Shreyas

• Gimmy • 4 Jun 2016 at 7.45 pm Reply

It is easier to find a place at Rotary in January once Erasmus students leave. 🙂
      /gimmy

• Nandish Patel • 9 Jun 2015 at 4.07 am Reply

Firstly, a big thank you for sharing very helpful and valuable information on you blog. I have read your posts which have helped me at lot. To share with you, I will be enrolling for Automotive Engineering MSc. program at Chalmers in August and have also secured accommodation at Rotary, which is quite alike to you. I need some help!!! Can you share with me as to what exact facilities does Rotary provide in their shared kitchen?? I mean to say facilities like microwave, gas or electric cooking appliances…etc…etc…reason being it would help me while packing.

Nandish

• Gimmy Liu • 14 Jun 2015 at 9.02 pm Reply

Hi there!

In the shared kitchen, there is: oven, microwave… and that’s about it.

But it really depends on which corridor you will be living on. In my shared kitchen, other corridor mates have brought kettle, someone left behind a rice cooker…

The guy who stayed in the room before me has left me with cutlery.

Don’t worry, you can’t bring the kitchen sink in your suitcase. There are plenty of students selling used stuff. IKEA is not too far away. 🙂

/BR Gimmy