Blog picture

Study Abroad: Kenya to Sweden

“Could study abroad be the answer to all your woes?”

Are you feeling down? Weary?

Someone just stole your lunch from your communal work fridge?

Or did you just graduate from that Bachelor’s degree and don’t know what to do next?

Then this post is for you!!!

My name is Anita Mureithi and I come from Nairobi, Kenya. The country where the sun never stops shining. You spend at least 6 hours in traffic where you can buy everything from fresh crisps, the daily newspaper to car wipers or meet the occasional lion that strayed from the National Park (okay this only happened once..ok..maybe twice..)

Life in the 254

Study Abroad

So imagine the shock when this Kenyan girl arrived at Landvetter airport after a layover in sunny Turkey to rain pounding my face and hearing that it’s still summer. After the rain came two weeks of ‘relative‘ warmth. But now autumn has slowly started to creep in and all the stories from previous Kenyan students mentally preparing me for the cold seem like a hazy dream.

Sunny Gothenburg

Taken in warmer times

Apart from adjusting to the weather, in my 60 days in Sweden I have made great new friends from all over the world. Eaten more meatballs than humanly possible. Went shopping for groceries in a language that I don’t understand (this is harder than you can imagine). Danced until my feet hurt. Walked in Delsjön forest and swam in Skagerrak (next to the North Sea) , all while studying what I love on a full scholarship.

Study Abroad

So what are you waiting for? This could be your study in Sweden story!

Applications are now open for International students for first admission round Spring 2017 on www.universityadmissions.se/intl/start . Be sure to check out www.studyinsweden.se/scholarships/ for scholarship information.

There’s no degree that’s too out there. They even have a course that focuses on Japanese comic culture at Malmö University. Yup! Comics! With a choice of over 35 Universities. I am sure you’ll find your perfect fit!

Keep checking in for more of my time here in Sweden including, my first Christmas, snowfall, Swedish class and my long term love hate relationship with Google Translate.

From Sweden with Love!

Explore Gothenburg

Anita avatar

• Christine • 4 Jan 2017 at 9.59 am Reply

Hallo Anita,
    Ejoyed your blog. My question is, do you have to learn Swedish to study in Sweden?

• Anita
      Anita • 16 Jan 2017 at 5.38 pm Reply

Hi Christine,

If you would like to study a Masters degree, majority of the courses are taught in English. Most Swedes speak english which makes life easier.

Kind Regards,

Anita

• Nathan kiptanuk • 20 Dec 2016 at 12.32 pm Reply

Hi Anita pleasure to hear such an encouraging and motivating spirit am Nathan from kenya and i have a diploma and i want to do my undergraduate degree then masters and possibly phd can you please advice me thank u and havd amerry chrismass and prosperous 2017.

• Louisa • 7 Dec 2016 at 11.44 pm Reply

Hi Anita. This was a really good read. Enjoy your time in Sweden 🙂

• Anita
      Anita • 22 Dec 2016 at 11.44 am Reply

• Tabitha Thuo • 12 Nov 2016 at 9.05 am Reply

Hi Anita, I just completed my barchelors from University of Nairobi, planning to come to Sweden for my masters. Could you kindly assist me with the information necessary in case I prefer applying to the schools directly. Am considering jonkoping, Stockholm or Gothenburg university. Did you work with Uniserve in Nairobi west lands? Or which channel did you use? And how did the visa application go?

• Anita
      Anita • 13 Nov 2016 at 3.01 pm Reply

Hi Tabitha. That’s great that you’d like to come to Sweden to do your masters.
      Your first website should be universityadmission.se . You can do a course search there and they will have all the contact information for your universities if you would like to get more information.
      However, in Sweden unlike some countries. All university applications go through universityadmission.se , they require an application fee from most international students. They are the body that takes in all applications and coordinates with the universities across Sweden, therefore you do not need to work with Uniserve.
      Once you receive your acceptance from the university the visa/residence card process is fairly straight forward, but it also depends on a case by case basis.
      I hope this helps you out.
      All the best and Happy Application!

• Clara • 1 Nov 2016 at 2.43 pm Reply

Hey Anita, I’ll be studying in Sweden too!(In January 2017) From Uganda so this was helpful..this blog helped me

• Anita
      Anita • 4 Nov 2016 at 9.38 pm Reply

Glad to hear it Clara! All the best with your studies in Sweden :)!

• Mellissa • 31 Oct 2016 at 4.19 pm Reply

Hi Anita…I really would like to study in Sweden for my masters…on a full scholarship…working on that ☺😊 Congratulations on your achievements thus far…all the best Anita…and I enjoy your posts☺ P.S. mentally sending you some warmth from sunny South Africa🌞🌼

• Anita
      Anita • 31 Oct 2016 at 6.53 pm Reply

Hi Melissa :)!Thank you for the warmth. All the best with your scholarship application!

• Cathryn karanja • 27 Oct 2016 at 8.41 pm Reply

Love it!!! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this!!

• Anita
      Anita • 28 Oct 2016 at 2.00 pm Reply

Thankyou Cathryn 🙂

• Harriet • 27 Oct 2016 at 6.42 am Reply

I am looking forward to study in Sweden in 2017 as well.

• Anita
      Anita • 27 Oct 2016 at 7.51 pm Reply

All the best with your application Harriet 🙂

• muya ismael • 23 Oct 2016 at 3.44 pm Reply

Nice to meet you anita. Next plan is to pursue my MA program abroad, a guide from you is very crucial. From TANZANIA am ismail muya.

• Becky Berre • 19 Oct 2016 at 9.44 pm Reply

Congratulations are in order. All the best!

• Anita
      Anita • 22 Oct 2016 at 9.05 pm Reply

Thanks Becky! I really appreciate it. All the best to you too.

• Sentiyanger Jamir • 19 Oct 2016 at 8.38 pm Reply

seems like you having a good times out there.. well, I too am planning to study in sweden next autumn hope it happens.. hehee.. well please do keep writing.. I like it.

• Anita
      Anita • 22 Oct 2016 at 9.06 pm Reply

All the best with your application. Thank you for your comment. Be sure to check in for more posts

• Nathan • 3 Jan 2017 at 7.17 pm Reply

Hi Anita Happy New thanks for the crucial information am working on it i want to study in Sweden seriously with your guidance iwill appreciate thank you and God bless