study abroad featured image

Come to Study in Sweden

A year ago, I was one of the wandering earthlings looking for a way to continue my study abroad. Right now, I succeeded in landing my spaceship called ‘Life’ in Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden. Quite many friends, when they knew that I am studying in Sweden, gave a response as such:

“Wow, how can you do that? I also want to study abroad!”

I think this is also why you are here. Before I share my experience with you, the first thing that you should know is this does not happen within the blink of an eye. Where I am right now is a collection of trial and failure – the struggle is real. You only need to want it so bad that you will not give up from the application’s rejection(s). Yet it is possible. These experiences of applying for scholarships and master programmes (somehow) made me a legit source of information, and a living proof, in the eye of my friends and acquaintances. Many of the conversations I had with them revolves around the preparation of documents required in applying. Let’s start with the most frequent question asked:

study abroad 1

English requirement is a big thing for those who do not come from English-speaking countries. My answer to this question usually is to study more on English before you take the language test and to keep calm during the test, such a cliché. That was what I did. I took IELTS test at IALF Bali and they have a library where you can use a week in advance prior to your test, it was resourceful and very much helpful. There are many websites that provide IELTS preparation, such as this which I used during my self-preparation. If you wonder whether or not you should join the preparation class, I can’t tell what is best for you since only yourself know your capacity (and study method) but for me, a devotion and quality time with those books and websites were enough. I am just glad that they only require English and not Swedish in my programme (well, of course, it’s because my programme is taught in English – as well as many other programmes in Sweden’s university).

study abroad 2

For you who can’t decide yet which programme, university or country to be your goal, evaluate what your aim in life is. I am blessed to know that my objective in life is to make the world a better place, and there are many ways in doing so. The first thing that came to my mind is learning sustainability. From my search on the internet and education fair, I have decided to focus on Swedish university. It really helps to narrow down your search whether it is country based, programme based, or other value of yours.

When you already find the programme that you like and want to take this relationship to the next step, but you still have a doubt so you want to consult – ask for advice from your current lecturer, an alumna of that programme or a student in the university that you’re interested in. A friend back home asked if the Human Computer Interaction programme in my university fits for her, and I believe that I am not qualified to give the answer to that question so I offer if she wants to be in touch with my friend who is currently studying on that programme. Now, moving on to more of a practical question:

study abroad 3

Ja! This is my favourite question because it is easy to answer. Study in Sweden website provides everything you want (and need) to know. You can start by equipping yourself with the steps needed and move on to the real battlefield. The application for autumn 2017 is now open, and I hope to see you next year! If you have any question that tingles, post them on the comment below and I’ll try my best to provide you with the relieve. Lycka till.

Sania avatar

• Aditya Setyawan Moekti • 11 Jan 2017 at 10.00 am Reply

Hej Sania,

Tack så mycket for your article! Really informative! Jag är currently considering to move to Sweden for good. I have some questions regarding being a student in Sweden:
    1. I read from many articles that Sweden taught so much about creativity. How do you find that applied in your study?
    2. Between Stockholm, Lund, Uppsala, Gothenburg, Umeå; can you give a highlight related to student life on those cities? I am currently thinking about studying at Lund at the moment.
    3. Based on the information that I gathered, you’re an LPDP awardee, right? What are the scholarship options for Indonesian Student that planning to work in Sweden after the study, and even pursuing permanent resident in Sweden?
    4. How much does it costs for settling down in Sweden for the first time? including visa and warranty deposit (if any)
    (5). Out of curiosity, how do we distinguish the usage between ‘ett’ and ‘en’ in a phrase? I’m currently studying Svenska!!!

Tack så mycket!
    Indonesian Students FTW

• Sania
      Sania • 17 Jan 2017 at 3.28 pm Reply

Hej Aditya,
      Thank you for reading the blog. Love your spirit. First question, creativity thinking is an essential approach for wicked problems. I’ve been practicing a lot for the assignments and case studies given in my study. Hmm, I have been living in Uppsala so far and I’m not confident in giving “judgment” toward the cities that I haven’t know well yet. Perhaps browsing through these blog posts will do justice to you. Yes, you got it right. There is another scholarship available for us, Indonesian, to study here called Swedish Institute Scholarship. As for the costs, Andaç Baran wrote a detailed post about it. Your last question is still a mystery for me too, perhaps we have to do more practice and memorize.

Lycka till!

• Eliezer • 16 Nov 2016 at 5.31 pm Reply

This article is informative and i love it.

May i know your email for further information, Miss Sania?

I am planning to join the Scholarship programme this year and need specific information related to every kind of aspect.
    I do appreciate if you help me with this.

Have a good day.

• Sania
      Sania • 17 Nov 2016 at 8.16 am Reply

Thanks Eliezer!
      You can write me to sania.studyinsweden(at)gmail.com – have a good day to you too 🙂

• Mohamed • 12 Nov 2016 at 2.41 am Reply

Hello Sania, thanks for your wonderful article. I am actually considering applying to that Master’s degree program in Sustainable development. I have a Bachelor’s in Education and Arts. Would that limit my options of specialization within that degree?
    Does the program require having studied sustained development subjects in your Bachelor’s?
    I have already read the program description but I was hoping you might be able to provide us with more details.
    What could you tell us about that program and its future careers?
    Good luck with your studies

• Sania
      Sania • 12 Nov 2016 at 10.21 am Reply

Hej Mohamed,
      Thank you! I would suggest you contact the program coordinator to ask regarding this. Though in my case, it is not a problem. I have a Bachelor of Arts and my program is a Master of Science. The program is so interesting as my classmates’ background varied from political science, engineering, and design like me! It is super interdisciplinary and so fun.
      As for future careers, you can pursue the field of your bachelor studies – going to the business industry or organizations with a focus on sustainable development.
      I hope it helps, let me know if you have further questions. I’ll see you in Sweden 🙂

• Mohamed • 16 Nov 2016 at 5.29 pm Reply

Hey Sania, thank you for quick reply. My comment is a bit late because I thought I would receive an email to notify me of your reply, but apparently it doesn’t work this way.
        I would like to specialize in a field related to natural resources and their development. Would that be possible or am I limited by my bachelor’s major?

Good luck with your degree. See you in Sweden, God’s willing. 😀

• Sania
          Sania • 17 Nov 2016 at 8.12 am Reply

Hey there Mohamed,
          Glad to hear that you already know what your goal is. This specialization that you mention, is it to apply for the master program or during the master study?
          If it’s the latter, I have not yet know the right answer for your question but I would say that it won’t be a problem. Since you are studying sustainable development then you can do specialization that you want to in that field, regardless of your bachelor’s major.
          Thank you! Good luck with your application 😉

• Mohamed • 18 Nov 2016 at 8.13 am

Yes, it is the latter. Thanks for your input. How many hours/ lectures is it per week? 🙂

• Sania
            Sania • 18 Nov 2016 at 3.10 pm

It depends on the course’s credit but the one I’m having is 10 hours of lectures per week, with 15 hours of self-tuition. Basically, my program focuses on one course until it finishes then moving on to the next one. In average, one course can take 6-8 weeks 🙂

• Mohamed • 25 Nov 2016 at 10.39 pm

Hey Sania, so when you finish a course, you take its exam and then you don’t have to take another exam in that subject, right? You just move to a new one, right?

• Sania
            Sania • 26 Nov 2016 at 9.41 pm

Hej Mohamed,
            Yes you’re right. When you did the exam you moved to a new subject 🙂

• Mohamed • 26 Nov 2016 at 11.58 pm

Hej Sania, tack så mycket.
            That’s great. Are the exams usually written or on a laptop?
            Sorry for bothering you with all these questions.

• olivier MBABAZI ISHIMWE • 1 Nov 2016 at 1.02 pm Reply

wow! your article is very interesting!
    thank you so much to let us know that we can make such an exciting thing happen.

• Sania