Dear Sweden, happy month-anniversary!

Today, my calendar marks the third month since the first day I arrived to this country.

It’s incredible how much we can grow, personally and professionally, when we are immersed in a different environment than what we’re used to. Looking back, so far I moved aboard, started a master in strategic communication, got used to a different teaching system, met new people, saw a beach covered in snow, traveled, mastered the art of thinking in Spanish, speaking in English while start learning Swedish, and became part of the Study in Sweden digital Ambassadors team. It’s more than what I expected.

And I can’t help it but think about that 16th of August at Copenhagen airport, my last stop and the beginning of this Swedish adventure. The staff of Lund University, wearing blue shirts and big smiles, were greeting all the international students while we arrived. You could tell dreams and expectations were floating in the air. Do you know that feeling between fear for the unknown and excitement for all what it’s yet to come? Well that was me, for that whole day and probably the next few weeks.

20160816_113157

After 20 hours between planes and airports

There I met Gwenny from the Netherlands and Stella from Germany, my new housemates, and also strategic communication students, we have already spoken before on Skype and finally there we were. Everything was getting so real. The Lund University staff helped us get the tickets for the train, which was going to take us to Helsingborg, our new hometown.

20160816_132332

Two suitcase, one backpack, a small purse and an infinity amount of my adventurous spirit where so hard to fit in the train compartments. Anyway, we managed to get to Helsingborg Central Station and then share a taxi to the awesome place we rented (at a student affordable price). 10 minutes later we arrived and almost forgot to take our bags with us because we were so amazed of that beautiful house build in 1920. I mean we saw a few pictures and everything before but this was waaaay better! How did we manage to get so lucky? Well, that’s a long story I will share with you guys in another post. Yes, we felt like little girls on Christmas morning.

collagee 2

We divided the rooms and even though I got the smaller one, it’s super cozy with a big bed and a desktop by the window. What else do you need, right? It was all so quiet; I sat for a few seconds in the wooden floor, to let it all sink in. While in my mind I was automatically starting with the to do list: unpack, get rid of the green rug, buy a desktop lamp and some plants, oh I need food, add colorful pillows… and the list went on.

20160816_144359

I stood up and placed my hand on the window, it was all so green. There were even 2 apple trees in our backyard! I smile and whisper: Hi Sweden, nice to meet you.

Today, 3 months later, I cherish that: new beginnings. And what better way to celebrate than with fika.

Untitled design (5)

Happy 3 month anniversary dear Sweden, looking forward to all the wonderful things ahead.

/Ivanna

Ivanna avatar

• Leonie • 23 Nov 2016 at 7.44 pm Reply

Such a nice post Ivanna! I’m glad to be a small part of your adventure 🙂 (and it’s always so exciting to read and see what you write about on the blog and Instagram)!

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 23 Nov 2016 at 7.51 pm Reply

Thank you so much Leonie, you are definetly part of this Swedish adventure! Hugs 🙂 / Ivanna

• Cristina • 18 Nov 2016 at 8.03 pm Reply

Thank you for this Ivanna! I Will be arriving on January and I am really really nervous. My mother tongue is also Spanish, how are you doing with your Swedish?

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 18 Nov 2016 at 11.09 pm Reply

Don’t be! Everybody speaks english and people in general are always very friendly. Learning Swedish its optional and its also free if your program last more than a year. Good luck with your studies and let me know if you have any questions/ Ivanna

• Barakat A. Mutaleb • 18 Nov 2016 at 2.02 pm Reply

Great, great and wonderful.

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 18 Nov 2016 at 4.16 pm Reply

Thank you! / Ivanna

• Jacqueline Prasai • 18 Nov 2016 at 1.43 pm Reply

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience Ivanna. I plan to start my master’s degree in the same program as you or in Digital Media on Autumn 2018. Now my excitement level has doubled up. I currently work as a student ambassador too at University of Baltimore where I am getting my undergraduate degree. Thanks to you, I know that I can try to continue doing the same over there too. I read your scholarship post as well -very informative indeed. I never knew about this site before. You and your fellow ambassadors just got a new follower😊

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 18 Nov 2016 at 4.12 pm Reply

Hey Jacqueline, thank you so much for your comment. Good luck with your undergraduate and feel free to email me (ivannaread@gmail.com) any further question you have about the master or Sweden 🙂

• Evi • 16 Nov 2016 at 11.19 pm Reply

Hi!I am Evi!I am preparing to come to Sweden, if i will be chosen . I am trying to pick what’s needed! I am very nervous and i would like to tell me some advice in order to calm me! For example what do you reccomend about how to find the appropriate accomodation(in Lund)?? Thank you in advance!

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 18 Nov 2016 at 4.15 pm Reply

Hello Evi, don’t be nervous, the university is very student oriented so they will guide you trough all the process and you’ll feel like home 🙂 About the accommodations, if you are an international students you get priority and can apply to students accommodation that the university provide and there’re also many facebook groups that you can join and webpages. I will write about that later on/ Ivanna