5 tips to live cheap in Sweden

Here are my 5 tips to live cheap in Sweden. Being a student isn’t the cheapest profession on the planet. Especially not in Sweden. However, we still have to eat, live in accommodation, watch a movie and attend the occasional party and afterwork. That being said, I thought I would share some insider information for how to navigate expenses.

As a student at the University of Gothenburg I have had to learn tips and tricks of how to live cheap and keep on budget.

Top 5 tips to live cheap in Sweden

5 tips to live cheap

For a rough student budget here’s a post by ABC on the Cost of Living in Sweden in 2017. (Mostly Stockholm and Uppsala).

If you’re coming to Sweden, NB: the biggest expense for students is accommodation. It ranges from SEK 2500 – SEK 6000 and depends on the size of your room, if its shared and if you have your own bathroom, kitchen etc.

So, after paying accommodation these 5 tips should help you survive on a budget in Sweden!

Useful links:

Signing up to experiments at Gothenburg University: GU Handels experiments

Student discounts: Mecenat

Tips on how to navigate 2nd hand shopping: Second hand shopping guide in Sweden

For ideas on what to cook for the week: Meal prep ideas

NB: At the time of posting this blog the information was up to date. I will also seek to update it with new information.

Keep it tuned for more tips for students living in Sweden.

Follow Study in Sweden on Snapchat for more updates

From Sweden with Love!

Anita avatar

• Sania
    Sania • 7 Mar 2017 at 1.13 am Reply

I love the last tips, how else I can get to the cinema but by being a lab rat 😀

• Lillia Carty • 3 Mar 2017 at 1.54 pm Reply

Pretty part of content. I simply stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to claim that I acquire actually loved account your blog posts. Any way Ill be subscribing to your feeds or even I success you get entry to constantly fast.

• Anita
      Anita • 14 Mar 2017 at 1.35 pm Reply

Thanks Lillia 🙂 All the best with your entry!

• Patty • 1 Mar 2017 at 10.29 am Reply

Dear Anita!!!! Thanks for #GoodTipsForLivingInSweden……. I therefore like to ask if it is possible to study and live in Sweden as I heard it is too cold there. For instance to people who come from East Africa (Rwanda) as our climate is totally different to the one of Sweden.
    Best Regards,
    Patrick

• Anita
      Anita • 14 Mar 2017 at 1.35 pm Reply

Dear Patty,

Thanks for your comment and question. Yes it is possible to study and live in Sweden. The temperatures vary throughout the year and different parts of Sweden experience different weather. Higher up north it is colder than in the South. Winter lasts for around 3-4 months and it is warmer during spring and summertime. Check out https://studyinsweden.se/why-sweden/quick-facts-about-sweden/ for some great facts including some about the weather in Sweden.

• abasi • 27 Feb 2017 at 12.33 pm Reply

how I can make application

• Oyebade Taiwo Seun • 24 Feb 2017 at 9.58 pm Reply

pls can you give the name of any good university in sweden ? I want to study early childhood education over there. have been finding it difficult to get one thank you I will apreciate your reply.

• Anita
      Anita • 28 Feb 2017 at 12.39 am Reply

Dear Oyebade,

Please visit http://www.universityadmissions.se and type the degree field that you are looking for in the search box. Sweden has great universities all over the country.

All the best!

• Francesco
    Francesco • 24 Feb 2017 at 12.11 pm Reply

Useful, thanks Anita! 🙂

• Emmanuel Onuoha-Igwo • 24 Feb 2017 at 3.09 am Reply

thank you so much for your help miss anita ..I Will soon be in sweden,that is my earnest prayer.. Long live sweden,long live Europe, long live Africa,long live Togo

• Anita
      Anita • 28 Feb 2017 at 12.40 am Reply

Thank you and all the best with your journey to Sweden!