Credits: Melker Dahlstrand/

If you here on a 1 year programme you might need a coordination number

Sweden runs on personal identity numbers (personnummer) that are distributed by Skatteverket (Sweden’s tax agency). While Swedes get their personal identity numbers at birth, all foreigners have to make an application through the Tax Agency. Personal identity numbers help you to do every basic task from opening a bank account to accessing health services. Personal identity numbers are only given to residents with a residence permit for more than 12 months. Katharina gives you the full lowdown on how to apply for a personal identity number. Those who have a permit valid for less than 12 months might be able to get a coordination number, that is usually referred to as “samordningsnummer“.

Credits: Simon Paulin/

Since I study a 1 year Master’s programme in Information Systems, I was given an 11-month resident permit which means that I am not eligible to get a personal identity number. Therefore, my alternative was a coordination number – which I was able to get because I have a part-time job. This number helps the Tax Agency to track my tax obligations.

Who is eligible to get a coordination number?

Coordination numbers are only issued by Skatteverket if an ID number is required by another authority for that person. Common examples include:

  • When EU citizens are in Sweden seeking employment with the help of the Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen)
  • When you are on a residence permit that is less than a year and you get a permanent or part-time job. We all agree that an extra income never hurt, especially if you are a student. There are several options for people seeking part-time employment while in Sweden and you can read about them here.
  • When you are on a residence permit that is less than a year and you are registering your car with the Swedish Transport Agency

How do you apply for coordination number?

Documentation needed for the coordination number will vary depending on the reason as to why you are applying for the coordination number. For example, if you are applying for a coordination number because you got a job, you will need to go to the Tax Agency closest to you with:

1. A copy of your Passport

2. Your residency card

3. Your full address details

4. Employment contract and details.

These documents will be handed in together with your application. After 4/5 weeks, you will get your coordination number which can be used by your employer for salary payment purposes. However, it is important to note that even with a coordination number, you may not be able to access certain services such as :

  1. Mobile BankID or Swish
  2. Online hospital bookings through 1117
Comments (7)

Comments (7)

Leave a comment