Technology-and-telecom

So what exactly is ‘Information Systems’?

Lot of curious students asks me this question. And our discussion usually ends up explaining difference between the different aspects in the field of technology. It is quite common for students to have come in contact with various terms, used in different parts of the world. For example, popular terms like ‘Information Technology’, as used in the Australian system, are called ‘Informatics’ in the UK. As a result of this, students often tend to mix up the purpose of a particular degree with another and also in what sort of contents does it have. Thus today, I will talk about ‘Information System’, the degree I chose to pursue here in Sweden and its difference with similar sounding programs.

The first thing coming to mind is ‘Information Technology’. A widely known term among students, IT is a degree that delves into the technical side of technology. Ermm …what? How does technology even have a technical side? Well it does! By that I mean the focus goes in to the courses like C++ or C# programming, the designing of databases alongside SQL programming, network architectures, system development and many more. Usually, depending on your specialization, other courses add up with these to form the whole degree. It can be business courses, even more technical one or social sciences if that is where your interest lies.

‘Information System’ however is a bit different. If you break this term, information generally means raw data, processed into an organized form, which helps companies to make strategic decisions. System, on the other hand, are the infrastructure and technology needed to find, capture, use and store those information. So if you blend them together, it’s more about the business side of technology. You use systems and technology to make sound and solid business decisions for the company. It’s not that easy given a lot depends on how the company operates and achieves its objectives. Thus, a student of Information System should also have a good understanding of the technical side of technology too. For instance, how does that code run, methods of debugging, knowing and managing databases, analyzing and designing system and many more. Alongside this, students must also comprehend the bigger pictures of a business, how they run, the functionalities, operational and strategic management etc. All in all, a good grasp on both the ends of the spectrum would help to become a successful student and ultimately a professional in the field of Information Systems.

Interested? Feel free to ask me more questions!

Adios!

——————————————————————————————-

Image taken from internet

Redwan avatar

• Evie • 16 Jan 2016 at 12.20 am Reply

Hi, Redwan I am interested in “Information Systems” master programme offered in Lund University. Your article is very concise to ensure me to pursue the major.
    I already graduated from College, but i am worrying about if I have enough credits taken at USA can fulfill the requirements for the master programme. Do you think I should find a way to take more classes in the United States, or Lund University will provide me the specific courses after I got accepted. Thank you ! Looking forward to your reply!

• Redwan
      Redwan • 16 Jan 2016 at 9.58 pm Reply

Hello Evie,

I can suggest you contact Lund admission office in that regard. However, from my knowledge it would be wise to meet the requirements first and then apply. If you need more courses to do so, then you can take them.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Tea • 6 Jan 2016 at 1.54 am Reply

Hi Redwan,
    Thanks for the articles, they are very helpful.
    I’m interested if you could suggest me to which universities to apply?

And also, my graduate studies were consisted of studying programming alongside with business, but now, I’m thinking of taking my master in Informational Security, so I’m torn between Informational Systems and Informational Security. Any thoughts that could help me in making my choice?
    Thanks!

• Redwan
      Redwan • 6 Jan 2016 at 10.20 am Reply

Hello Tea,

Well, Information Security is a specialized field that focuses mainly of e-security and protection of information. It can have technical courses too. On the other hand, Information Systems is of a more general nature. You get the taste of e-security alongside e-business, business intelligence, knowledge management. So lot of ‘business + technology’ and theoretical subjects.

Now it depends on where your interest lies and what you wish to do in future,

• Momo • 13 Dec 2015 at 7.53 pm Reply

Hi, Thank for your article. I’ve completed my undergraduate program in Computer Engineering in 2007, and after that I’ve been working in IT Division at a private bank in Bangladesh for six years. My main career focus is Database administration (I’m currently working with Oracle database 11 g alongside SQL programming, in addition to I’ve acheived oracle vendor cerificate OCP#10g and OCP#11g) , Data analysis for organization along with Software developing ( Oracle developing suite 11g environment). Recently I decided to pursue master’s programme but I am a little bit confusing which program will be suit with my career. Should I go with Information Systems and what do you think Sweden is good place for me to apply? Looking forward to a helpful feedback from you. Thanks!

• Redwan
      Redwan • 14 Dec 2015 at 12.45 pm Reply

Hello Momo,

Surely Sweden is a very good place for IT related degrees – both in terms of education and job. If you are interested into gaining some business insight alongside technology, then Information System can be your choice. It depends on what you wish to pursue in your future career. If you are more into technical side so to speak, then we have very competent technical degrees as well. Thus I suggest you check out our programs in this website and see what suits you.

• Momo • 14 Dec 2015 at 4.29 pm Reply

Thanks for your suggestion!

• Thimes • 26 Aug 2015 at 5.06 pm Reply

So, what is the career perspective that is offered from graduating from the 120ECTS Information Systems MSc here in Lnu? I am going to start on this program and I want to know if it the right choice for finding this kind of job here in Sweden..

• Redwan
      Redwan • 28 Aug 2015 at 8.16 pm Reply

Hello Thimes,

Scandinavia is general has a lot of IT positions and programs that students have the opportunity to get into after the studies. Big companies in particular, look for students from similar background not just because they have technical knowledge but also an understanding of a business. Thus this advantage works while looking for a job. Just put in some effort and you shall reap the benefits!

Good luck.

• Marianna • 12 May 2015 at 2.18 am Reply

Hi, i really liked your article, it clarified things perfectly. I just wanted to ask this: What about if someone wants to delve into IT security? What kind of bachelor or master should you follow?

• Redwan
      Redwan Hasan • 12 May 2015 at 10.46 am Reply

Hello Marianna,

IT Security is a hot topic! And there are various ways – for instance in Bachelors, you can take IT or Computer Science with specialization in security. Depending on some universities, they might provide a complete degree on Cyber security as well. In Masters, it goes the same but the depth of specialization could be richer. However, unless you wish to focus on this track wholly, it can be a good idea to may be take a business-IT related course at Masters level to give you a better understanding on an organization.

Hope that helps!

• Suresh • 11 May 2015 at 4.51 pm Reply

Hi may i know what are the universities are offering this masters program in information systems. please check it out

• Redwan
      Redwan Hasan • 11 May 2015 at 5.31 pm Reply

Hello Suresh,

You can find them in http://www.studyinsweden.se website. Apart from that, you can check the university websites accordingly for further details.

• Ayman • 11 May 2015 at 4.43 pm Reply

Throw computer science, software engineering and embedded systems’ software engineering into the mix and you’ll have a real fiasco 🙂 the realm of computer education is so diverse and beautiful. Great post Redwan

• Redwan