IMG_4394

Five stages of grief: Accommodation in Lund

Housing in Lund is a bit of a nightmare. Stories of people camping in tents during the first month(s) of the autumn semester because they can’t find a place to live in are not too far from the truth, unfortunately.

But do not despair! It is still possible to find accommodation.

Isolation and Denial:

You will want this one to work out so so badly. It comes with modestly furnished rooms/flats, internet is included, etc.
So, the first place to look is Lund University Accommodations. There are various types of accommodation that LUACC provides: corridor rooms, corridor rooms with WC, corridor rooms with WC and shower, twin rooms, studio flats, one bedroom apartments and two bedroom apartments. In Lund, the housing areas are the following: Spoletorp South and North (aka Spoli); Sparta; Margaretavägen; Klostergården; Rönnen. Their locations are all over the city (and the city is the campus, basically), so I’d advise choosing the ones closest to your school.

As Lund University has departments in Malmö and Helsingborg too, you can find accommodation with LUACC there as well.

In this blog post, I will focus on Lund, since that is the accommodation situation I am most familiar with. When applying for LUACC, it’s mostly on a first-come-first-served basis, so applying in time is crucial. However, there is also something called the housing guarantee. The housing guarantee saved me – I was eligible for one. To find out if you’re eligible, please visit this site.

If it doesn’t work out…

Anger:

In case LUACC doesn’t work out for you, there are still options available. You can apply for accommodation through AFB. AFB has a queueing system, so the time of application is crucial. Also, AFB organises lotteries in August where you might just get lucky and get a place to live in (it is a bit risky though).

Bargaining:

In case that doesn’t work either, you can search for apartments/rooms on BoPoolen.nu and Blocket.se. However, when searching through these, please beware of scams! There are a lot of those in Lund, since the accommodation situation is quite horrible.

Depression:

In case none of this works (hej, you gotta be prepared for the worst), you can always look for places in Malmö.  You can use Blocket for this search too.

Acceptance:

So, you found a place in Malmö. Rejoice! It’s really ok if you have to commute a bit every day.Yes, Malmö is very close to Lund and by train, it is just a 15-20min ride. By bus is a bit longer, but still very manageable. Also, you can buy a transport card (aka Jojo card) at Skånetrafiken and the monthly unlimited ticket for Lund and Malmö costs 560kr with a student discount. With this, you can use both local buses, regional buses as well as the train.

To give you a taste of the commute Malmö – Lund, check out this scenic timelapse I made on my way back to Lund the other day.

Dena avatar

• Julien Cros • 21 Jan 2016 at 9.01 pm Reply

First things first , thanks a lot for all this explanations, it makes things more clear!
    I will be moving to Lund for July/September 2016, do you know when the “house booking” will start for this period? I haven’t found the date on the website , and as I would like a studio flat , I guess I should be quite fast on the booking, and I hope I’m not too late !

• Dena
      Dena • 22 Jan 2016 at 11.20 am Reply

Hej Julien,

Glad it helped! If I remember correctly, the application period starts some time in April. But maybe keep checking http://www.luaccommodation.lu.se/ so you’re on the safe side!

Dena

• Bal • 14 Dec 2015 at 7.10 pm Reply

Hi Dena,

Do you have any advice for finding short term accommodation? I’ve got a flat in Palsjoang sorted from the 5th feb, but will be in Lund for a month earlier! Most on BoPoolen are looking to let rooms out for the full duration of semester, and AirBnB/Hotels are so expensive!

• Dena
      Dena • 5 Jan 2016 at 7.36 pm Reply

Hej Bal,

That could be difficult indeed. Try couchsurfing or asking someone to host you for a while. You can make these queries on Facebook groups like “accommodation in Lund” “international students in Lund” etc. And don’t exclude Malmö. It’s close by and bigger so it could be easier to find something there.

Dena

• Irina • 29 Nov 2015 at 8.47 pm Reply

Hej Dena! Me and my friend will be student at Lund university from Mid of January for one year. We would like to help us, because we are really worried about the housing issue. We are still waiting from 16th October for answer of our application at Lund accommodation, but nothing. We applied in the first minutes of the application process and we hope to receive twin room or smoething else to live. Could you help us with more information! Please!!! Thank you!

• Dena
      Dena • 10 Dec 2015 at 3.20 pm Reply

Hej Irina,

I guess you should write LUACC an email? I don’t work there so unfortunately I can’t advise you more than the blog post goes… I hope you get it sorted out soon!

Dena

• Linda • 3 Sep 2015 at 4.16 pm Reply

are there semester breaks when attending the university in Lund. I know there are 2-10 week sessions but it looks as though there is no time off to travel in between those sessions

• iqro ibrahim • 6 Jul 2015 at 10.52 am Reply

I would like to study education in swedan ihope to help me

• Nandita Rao • 30 May 2015 at 1.30 am Reply

Oh gosh this housing thing sounds so scary! I will be attending in the upcoming Autumn 2015 semester and since I don’t have a housing guarantee as an exchange student, housing is such a concern! This post really made things clear though! thank you =)

• Dena
      Dena Dervanovic • 7 Jun 2015 at 5.14 pm Reply

Glad it helped! And good luck!

D