From me to you: A letter for the new students

Dear student,

You’re arriving to Sweden today, finally the day you waited for so long has come!

I hope you’re looking forward to one of the best times of your life. One year ago I was right were you’re now and let me tell you a secret (not so secret) you’re living the dream.

Yes, the first days can be overwhelming, everything is new, different and sometimes even weird. A simple thing like doing laundry can become a challenging situation; but if something I’ve learned in my year here it’s that one shouldn’t worry too much, eventually everything will fall into place and you will feel “home”. Just take it day by day. Step by step.

Be ready to me amazed, to learn, to discover, to break all paradigms while living to the fullest.

Your eyes will see magical places that you thought were only real in the movies or after applying some especial filters; well they are real and you will get explore them.

Jukkasjärvi, Kiruna

Your heart will welcome friends from all over the world and they will become like family. Their stories will inspire you and you will learn a lot from them too. Keep them close, they will bright up your days, especially when it gets dark and nostalgia knocks on your door.

Gwenny, Stella, Karolina, Leonnie, Mattias and Jesper <3

Your mind will expand, you will discover new ways of thinking of seeing the same thing from a totally different perspective. You will read many books and write many academic papers and that on-going reflection process will teach you important skills.

Public Library, Stockholm

Ideon Science Park, Lund

You will become stronger, your patience, endurance and resilience will be test and you will realise you’re capable of more than what you thought.

Your ideas will be enriched with diverse opinions that will lead to constructive discussions.

Nobel Week Dialogue, Stockholm

You will immerse yourself in a new culture where fika, lagom, punctuality and queuing plays a major role.

Always be curious, ask questions, listen carefully, write your thoughts, identify your mentors. Explore your surroundings, let the outdoors also be your classroom. You’re in a country full of possibilities, so don’t wait for those opportunities to find you… GO find them yourself.

Cherry blossom, Helsingborg

Remember, time flies so make every day count.

Welcome to Sweden!

With love,

Ivanna

Ivanna avatar

• Hannah • 18 Aug 2017 at 5.50 pm Reply

This is exactly what I needed to hear right now, thank you – feeling super overwhelmed!

• abhijeet srivastava • 18 Aug 2017 at 4.43 pm Reply

It’s a great post Ivanna. I arrived stockholm yesterday and was really feeling nervous to find every thing very strange but after reading this post I really confident and also ready for the next..

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 18 Aug 2017 at 9.31 pm Reply

It´s ok to feel a bit overwhelming in the beginning but you´ll see everything will work out fine! Hope you are enjoying the city / Ivanna

• Raquel • 18 Aug 2017 at 1.14 am Reply

I arrived in Sweden yesterday and this was exactly what I needed to read today! Thanks Ivanna.

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 18 Aug 2017 at 9.29 pm Reply

Glad to hear that Raquel 🙂 Have a great time in Sweden! / Ivanna

• Enkeleda Ibrahimi • 17 Aug 2017 at 3.30 pm Reply

Thank you so much Ivanna for this letter!

I have been dreaming and planning for so long about everything you have written and it feels so wonderful that sometimes I am afraid it will not happen, it is too magical to happen. But reading this letter by a girl like me that has lived it all and is the proof that big dreams can come true is so inspiring and so heartwarming! I am so ready to come and make this new beggining wonderful and magical! Thank You!

With love from my last days in Tirana,
    Enkeleda

• Ivanna
      Ivanna • 17 Aug 2017 at 3.41 pm Reply

Your words are so kind Enkeleda! Thank you for taking the time to write this. Wish you safe travels and I hope your Swedish adventure is as wonderful and fulfilled as you always dreamed of. All my best / Ivanna

• Enkeleda Ibrahimi • 18 Aug 2017 at 1.19 am Reply

Thank you for your wishes Ivanna! 😊

• Ann • 17 Aug 2017 at 2.48 pm Reply

Beautiful post Ivanna

• Tanya • 17 Aug 2017 at 2.31 pm Reply

Such a beautiful letter! Thank you, Ivanna! ^_^

• Clare • 17 Aug 2017 at 1.53 pm Reply

Beautiful words. Hope they can be addressed to me next year when I would be arriving to Sweden.
    Have fun this year that begins!

• Ivanna