Are Swedes Heliophiles?
A heliophile is defined as ‘Any organism that is attracted to large amounts of sunlight’.
Memes always pop up around spring describing Swedes love for the sun. The funniest are the lemur and meerkat ones.
If you visit your local park or beach you will greeted by such images. Hundreds of people flock to open areas to enjoy the summer sunshine. This year summer is here in full force and with it has come some scorching temperatures.
Heat waves have become a common phenomenon this summer. Just this week the National weather agency issued a class two alert for extremely high temperatures. With the sun rising at 04:00 a.m. and setting at 21:45 that’s alot of hours of sunlight.
Since you’ll be spending alot of time in the sun. I thought it would be good to give you a few sun safety tips.
Sun safety tips for summer
1) Wear SUNSCREEN everyday! You wouldn’t want to end up with a nasty sunburn and ruin part of your summer. I was a victim of sunburn last summer, because I thought I don’t put any on at home and it didn’t seem that hot. I WAS WRONG! You can even get sunburn on a cloudy day.
2) Stay hydrated. DRINK lots of water. A handy student tip is always carry around an empty water bottle to fill up at any sink or water fountain. That way you don’t have to keep buying mineral water.
3) Avoid being in the DIRECT SUNLIGHT between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. especially if you’re not under shade or an umbrella.
4) COVER UP. Wear a hat and sunglasses to keep you protected from harmful UV Rays.
5) Watch out for TICKS or (fästing)! Lyme Disease is caused by bacteria that is spread by ticks. I had heard of this previously before coming to Sweden but didn’t think it was a real threat until a classmate of mine caught it. After a hike or a swim in the sea always check yourself for tick bites. Check out this website for symptoms and call 1177 if you think you’ve been bitten.
Swedish Summer is here to stay. At least for a few months. So enjoy going to the beach, taking long hikes and making Summer memories.
From Sweden with Love!